1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NRD - New Rig Day?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dvlmusic, Jun 29, 2013.

1. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Last night I drove an hour to do a Craigslist trade for the final piece of my new rig.

Back in the fall of 2011 by GK 800RB died. I loved that amp - I'd had it for 15 years or so and it was my first "real" bass amp. Previously I'd had some Peavy POS like most newbs... Anyway, I picked up an Ampeg 410HE for it and it just sounded fantastic. Big and fat and all-purpose. Both of those pieces toured with me and logged hundreds of gigs.

So the 800RB just died on stage one day so it was time to find a replacement. I had no money at all, so I traded my SWR Workingman's 12 for an SWR SM-400 in the spring of 2012. The WM12 was bested by the SWR California Blonde I used for my singer/songwriter gigs (surprisingly). Never got a chance to pair up the SWR with the Ampeg cab as I was playing much smaller gigs at the time.

Well, back in November I had some extra dough so I decided to mod my P-bass. New bridge, hipshot, new pickups, etc. Shortly after doing so, the California Blonde bit the dust. Soooooooo.....

I couldn't justify spending an unknown amount of money to get it fixed, so I found a guy on CL with an SWR Goliath II Junior for $200. I was tired of the mismatched rig and was ready to have a matched set. I picked up the Junior about 2 months ago and absolutely love it.

So to the point - last night I traded my Ampeg cab for a Goliath II and the set is complete: SM-400 head, Goliath II and Goliath II Junior. In the last 18-ish months I've replaced my entire rig with very little out of pocket! I'm SO psyched to have a matched rig of all new equipment - vintage 90's at that (man, I'm so old that the 90's are now vintage).

So now I'm playing my vintage 80's <sic> Fender P/J with a vintage 90's <sic> rig. :bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper:

Thanks for listening to me ramble - I needed to nerd out with somebody.

Attached Files:

2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with that rig! :hyper:

Nice story also.