1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NS Design Radius Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marial, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

NS Radius bass

Anyone here have one of these? I don't know what it is, but I absolute love NS Design instruments and really miss the NS EUB and electric bass cello (now Omni bass) that I had.

If anyone has any first hand experience with one of these please share. If it sounds and feels as good as I think it likely does, I'm going to be very tempted to sell off most of gear to get one.
  2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

I'd try the fretless, but any non-intonatable bridge for a fretted is just plain worthless to me, I like to use non standard tunings.
  3. Marial

Were I to get one it would definitely be fretless.
  4. RickBlair

RickBlair

If you look at the information on the website it looks like there is some adjustment available on the bridge for intonation. Ned Steinberger and Hipshot are not newbies to the bass business. The adjustments might not suit your needs though.

Rick B.
  5. Be_eM

Be_eM

I do. It sounds and feels good :)
  6. Marial

Excellent!
  7. Marcury

Marcury High and Low Supporting Member

I so want to try/buy a fretless one
  8. Marial

Sweet! I don't suppose you have any sound clips? I'm really curious what these sound like, especially the fretless models. I love my Pentabuzz, but my NS eubs were a joy to play and had a wonderful tone that was just a bit different from the Pedulla.
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84

Great! Now, where can I try one in Canada? ;)
  10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

it's the same as the modern steinberger bridge, which has the same problem.
    http://www.steinberger.com/XS15FPACST.html
    Definitely not good for alternate tunings.
  11. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Can you elaborate?

I have had one of these basses in my possession for a little while and I'm friendly with the folks over at NSdesigns and I have not noticed a tuning that you cannot use.

What great is that you do not need double balled strings now.
    Its a little different then what the older system.
  12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Sure thing: you can't adjust the bridge points independently for each string. I tried one of these out extensively with hopes to possibly buy, but the bridge was a no-go for my needs.
  13. bassteban

bassteban

That bridge just baffles me- the rest of the bass is so cutting edge, and the bridge is just, well Im trying to get the word *stupid* out of my head but not doing so well.
  14. Be_eM

Be_eM

Just to understand this correctly: you haven't been able to get a correct intonation on this bass? Under which conditions? What are these specific needs that can't be fulfilled with the given intonation options?
  15. basswave

Disclosures:
    Ok...Gotcha...

I just had it set up professionally and for kicks brought down to my nephews band that drops a whole step across the board and did not notice any issue.
  16. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

The bridge is designed for standard tuning intonation I assume, and had no issues with that as far as I could tell. It reminds me of my old hagstroms, which have a single wood block bridge which I had to have customized for dedicated alternate tunings.
    You can make it happen with fretless with positioning to compensate, i've had an NS eub for 11 years and it is one of my favorite instruments.
  17. Be_eM

Be_eM

Is it possible that you overlooked the existing options to adjust intonation? It's not separate per string, but it IS there:

[​IMG]
  18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

That's the exact problem, it is not separate for each string.
    I use some extreme tunings. For example, one instrment has a 3 octave tuning on 3 of the strings: F,F,C,F using .80, .50, .30, .20.
  19. basswave

Disclosures:
    If I'm not mistaken that is the Piezo pickup and nothing at all to do with intonation.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Why build this without individual intonation adjustment for each string. That makes no sense. :crying: