ns wav4 piezo acting up?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Matthijs, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Matthijs

Matthijs

I've been using a wav4 for several years. Lately I found the sound on the D and G string was slowly deteriorating in the arco setting and with just the bass pieze on. The volume is lower and it sounds a bit fuzzy. This has slowly has gotyte worse over the last year. At this time the sound on the g string has become unusable. My first thought was the treble side piezo was going bad, but the weird thing is the sound in pizz setting is ok. I've wired my wav4 'to have a 3d option with only the bass side piezo on and in that setting the sound has deteriorated in the same way. A logic conlusion would be it's not the treble side piezo. So: I've checked and resoldered all the wiring. Tried a different bridge. Put on a brand new set of obligato's. Fiddled endlessly with the setup. All without any results. Not really surprising because acousticly I can't hear a difference between the e/a side and the D/G side. I just don't understand what is going on here. Please help!
  2. Matthijs

Matthijs

Anybody ?

The only thin I vcan think of now is replacing the piezo's. I've got a Fishman that's ment for an acoustic (bass) guitar. I might be able to rig the bridge in such a way it will fit. If that works maybe I can try to fit in a realist.

I really need this bass to work I use it weekly for a rehearsal instead of my doghouse. For that it works just fine and I don't want to have to go looking for another
  3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Have you tried to contact NS Design? They'd know best, and perhaps be able to advise better than anyone here...
  4. Matthijs

Matthijs

Thanks Mark, I will. I guess after all the tinkering I did I don't think of it as being made by them anymore.
  5. Matthijs

Matthijs

Got a prompt and helpfull reply from a tech from the Chech factory. They suggest it might be the bass side piezo is broken in two pieces. I'm going to try the fishman piezo and see what happens.
  6. Matthijs

Matthijs

The other piezo works ok. The sound was a bit trebly and clicky at first, but improved a lot with a thin layer of cork under the bridge feet.