Numbness/feels a BIT like needles in my middle finger.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Im getting slightly worried. The whole day my ring and middle finger has felt a bit number than usual and its similiar to that feeling when it feels like needles are sticking you, but like at alot lower level. Its at the fingertip joint, and recently after playing a little it went warm, but the warmth settled down a few min after i put my bass down. Anyone knows what this is:(? Just a unlucky day, or is this something i need to worry about?

2. debozkurt

debozkurt

Usually, tingling and numbness is a sign of Carpal Tunnel...Where the nerve is becoming inflamed and pinched in your wrist....

I would say, take a break, let it rest up for a day or so, and see where you stand afterwards.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Sounds like a possible RSI. You really wanna let it rest, as trying to "fight through" these kind of problems will only make them worse. If it keeps bothering you, speak to a doctor.

4. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

Hmmm. I'm not a doctor, but here's what I can tell you. (According to my physician) With your hand positioned as if to shake another's (index on top, pinky on bottom) Carpal Tunnel would affect the index, ring and "top" half of your ring finger. Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome affects the "bottom" half of your ring finger and the pinky.

My lower two fingers had the feeling you described a few months back, although a fairly intense. My physician first showed the difference in feel between the "top" and bottom" of my ring finger, told me what it probably was and then we narrowed down the cause. In my case, it was my driving posision in a new car (elbow and subsequent ulnar nerve firmly planted on a corner of the armrest a few hours everyday). I've changed driving position and it has been slowly fading ever since.

I guess my whole point is that you need to see a doctor. I'd have never guessed my discomfort would have been caused by what it was and fixed as easily. Good luck.

Mike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Demon

Demon

Im waiting atleast two-three days before doctor. Could it be that i spend several hours a day with my arms resting at the computer table, since i spend alot of time on it? Im fairly sure its only the middle and ring and maybe even the pinky too, and if they got it too, it must be alot less. I noticed this first when i woke up i think. Didnt take long to notice. Its not really intense at all, and it definatly does NOT hurt. But if it doesnt dissapear in two-three days ill check it up.
    Might be the Ulnar thing. Ive had a few problems around that spot the last year. Had some slight pain shooting to my lower hand from my elbow occasionally(nothing really painful although, and its dissapeared the last days), and when i used to press at the ulnar spot i got a strange feeling.
    I spend alot of time infront of the computer and my right hand lays in a way that the arm rests on the elbow/ulnar point.
    Sometimes to when i stretched out my arm, it felt like it locked a bit, and when i stretched it fully it would be like the bones were "loose" again, like it clicked a bit and then it was ok.
    Now i checked some site with some info on UTS i see that it mentions grip weakness which i have feelt for a while. Iwasnt really weak in the grip, but i had a feeling that it was a bit weaker and it made me want to close my hand hard, (though not in the way that it did so automatically).
    Im really starting to believe that i might have UTS:/ Is it easy to get rid of?
    Alot of the things match with the site.

7. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

I waited a month or so....but it drove me nuts. For me, it was most noticeable in the morning, as well.

Mike

8. Demon

Demon

I tried tapping my elbow grove lightly and i get a feeling like described on the site.. meh, hope it doesnt require surgery:(

9. Demon

Demon

Weird, doing the same thing on the left arm gives the same feeling, but im sure i dont have any problems with my left arm.

I have two additional questions:

1: Should i stay away from bass till i talked to a doctor or got it fixed? even if i play with a pick?

2: Does this kinda stuff decrease ur bass playing ability permamently, even after "fixed"?

10. Demon

Demon

Ok, since yesterday night after making the topic i stopped resting on my elbow and today its a bitbetter but its still there, but doesnt rly bother, exept that im afraid to play bass at the moment. Do you think i still should see a doctor? And again, id like answers on my 2 previous questions on the post before this:) Thanks.

11. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

1) Since you're not sure what's causing it, it's tough to say which activities should be avoided. I can only go back to the "you need to see a professional" bit.

2) I was told I wouldn't have any residual issues after some time. See the last sentence in my answer to #1.

Mike

12. Demon

Demon

ok this is weird, since Ulnar only should cause in pinky and ring, and i havein middle too, and even possibly a little tad in my thumb. The only finger that feels 100% normal is index:/ I think this might require checking out at a doctor. Really sucks. Maybe its even all in my head. So confusing-.- It got a bit worse again, like last night recently, after i started feeling and thinking about it. So maybe its that:/

13. shikee

shikee

i have problems with ulnar nerve compression ... for me my job is the main source of the problem ... i rest my arm on my desk, and after a few hours i get the tingle ... if you sleep on your side with your arms bent and hand under your head that can cause it too ... if i roll over on my left side during my sleep it will wake me up when it starts tingling ... i try to be concious of what i am doing and stay off of it at work, but it's the most comfortable position for my back ... fortunately, i'm about to quit, and i never plan on doing tech support or anything that requires 10 hours a day at a desk again

14. dentarthurdent

dentarthurdent

I am a programmer and sit at my desk amd computer all day. Over the years, I have found that any chair with arms or letting my arms rest on the desk in any way will cause numbness in my arms and hands and/or pain around my shoulder blades. It can last for several days even after correcting the situation.

Avoiding chair arms and keeping my keyboard at the edge of the tray/desk keeps me from having that. Hopefully your situation is something like that and will clear itself up.

15. Demon

Demon

Yeah, the "problem" has been getting better if anything and def not worse. So i dont really feel a need for a doctor, since it might fix itself. But any sign of it getting worse or pain, ill call the doctor.Playing bass doesnt seem to make anything worse really.
    I tried poking my finger with something sharp after playing, and it felt like usual, so im not even sure if it can be called numbness. Maybe its the callouse thing afterall.

16. Stevie Barr

Stevie Barr

I experienced what I think may have been carpal tunnel syndrome towards the end (fortunately) of Saturday night's gig, and it re-occurred while I was playing at an open mic yesterday (during Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World"- relentless eighth-notes!). It wasn't exactly painful, but it did slow me down considerably. I would describe it as feeling as though my right hand belonged to somebody else, if that makes sense.

So far I've only experienced it whilst playing. I did hear somewhere that its most common cause for a bass player is the squashing of the wrist against the body of the bass while playing with the fingers, so therefore my playing position may need to be looked at. As it has only happened during playing up until now I'm hoping it will go away on its own if I don't play for a few days, can anyone confirm if that is likely? Thanks.

17. Fender Floyd

Fender Floyd

I get the same thing from resting my head with my hand. Sometimes if I move my hand i get that feeling so if you do that a lot it could be because of that. But do you get the same feeling when you play or just any time?