Nut adjusting (need help)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kingjliow, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

i just got my first bass and you can see this happy face of mine ( :) *clink). its a chinese made but its an enough deal. price around 900$, laminated spruce top and maple on the back side and its not bad with jazz plucking sound. well, everything's fine until i finished setting up the bridge, strings, and then .... (epic silent) i can barely press F, Bb, Eb, G yeah that first finger on half position on each string but strangely, the problem is only on that position... do i need a nut adjusting?
  2. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    It's not at all uncommon to need to adjust the nut, even on real expensive basses. Press down at first fret (ok, second fret you wimp j/k) - if the string doesn't buzz with the setup otherwise, then the gap that shows under the next fret higher is all you need in theory as the gap at the first fret when the string is open(un fretted). A typical laymen's reference height is "1-2 credit cards gap at first fret". Which would be .015-.030"(.3-.7mm).

Be sure to make the slots tilt downward toward the tuners slightly - you want the string to rest on the edge of the nut closest to the fretboard.

Yeah, a high nut will make your first few notes intonation sharp/high due to too much "string break"(bending). I play those first position notes a lot so having it play sharp would drive me insane....I run maybe a .10" gap, which is really close. Virtually effortless playing in the low register. :)
  3. nicechuck

nicechuck

Yes, the nut needs filed. I did mine myself with a set of round files, but if you do, be careful. About a credit card height at the fingerboard is usually good.
    By the way there are no frets, this is the DB side edpal
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Two credit cards? More like one business card.

OP, go slow so you don't take a chunk out if the nut.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

:), edpal there is lost.

+1 for one business card thickness on a DB nut.

Go slow and all should be pretty straight forward.
    If You don't have appropriate files, a drill bit wrapped in emery paper/cloth is a very good substitute.

Regards
    Sam
  7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Why don't you post the picture from the other thread? That nut has no slots and is way high! It should probably be thinned out and then slots filed. If you are going to try this yourself, find some pictures of well done nuts to get an idea of what to shoot for. It really should be done by a skilled pro.
  8. Kingjliow

Kingjliow

yeah, the nut is narrow and it needs to be widen (just as i post on the other thread) anyway that's the risk of buying a cheap bass which i had to face it now (there are some personal condition and reason for why i buy the bass anyway, hope to be understood at this time) and i already contact a luthier that i know to setting up my bass.

but thanks for all of your support and advice, its my first bass and there may be some downside but you guys have helped a lot. appreciate it!
  9. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    OH DOUH - missed that this was the upright bass forum. Wandered in the wrong door - what is this place? Yes, much lower. Cards vary a lot these days, point is he needs to start taking that sucker down. God only know how his height is at bridge. Sounds like he needs setup with a pro at least once.