1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

nut removal from recent American Standard Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joeyl, May 9, 2012.

1. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

So I bought this 2012 neck from ebay, and it is a fretless with lines (yes I need lines)Since I want to do an epoxy coating, I need to remove the nut. I have done it many times on my old Fenders, and I thought that it should be a piece of cake.
    Since Fender finishes the headstock up to the nut on rosewood boards now, I scored the finish, used a punch and hit the nut from the side with a good blow of the hammer. Nothing! Does not budge. I tried knocking it all around, does not move at all

So out comes the hacksaw

[​IMG]

Saw it slowly

[​IMG]

Until you almost reach the bottom (watch out the bottom is curved on Fenders)

[​IMG]

Then you can collapse the 2 sides inwards as such

[​IMG]

And here is the result

[​IMG]

See how much glue they put in there :rollno:

[​IMG]

But at least no chipping, I will have to sand that finish excess down a bit though

[​IMG]

Hope you find this helpful

:D

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

textbook!

while you're at it, why don't you document the epoxy-coating process, too?

3. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

thanks, I will!

I have never done it before but I will be trying out the build a dam and then pour a single coat method with System 3. I tried it on a piece of wood and it worked like a charm, minus the fact that I burned the tape with my propane torch.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Just tossing this out... not an expert on this process... but seem to have read somewhere that Rosewood is an oily wood... something about wiping down the fretboard with something (acetone?) to remove surface oils for better epoxy adhesion. Again... triple check this... but I remember something to this effect...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

yes you are correct. Lots of surface oils on a rosewood board that would cause fish eye's and craters in the epoxy. Odorless mineral spirits or acetone would remove it for a little while until the oils come back to the surface eventually. Epoxy or finishing before that works then....
    :D