Nuts for fretless SX jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 5, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Just ordered a fretless SX jazz bass. I hear the two problems of those SX jazz basses is the pots & the low grooved nuts.

In the case of a fretless, isn't a nut with low grooves good for a fretless whose action is deliberately set low to emphasize the mwah effect? Can this work to my advantage?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the "problem of low grooved nuts" you've mentioned with the SX basses. The depth of the nut slots should be correct for the instrument. There's no "low", there's no "high", there's really only "just where it should be".

3. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

Love my fretless short scale SX. Picked this one up for $100. I have a set of MIA Fender pickups I picked up from a fellow TBer that are going in soon.
    I purchases a Fender fretless from a TBer where the stringers were set so low the fret board was grooved past the nut. It played great with no buzz at all. I recently installed a new nut to raise the strings off the board because it offset the spacing on the first couple of fret lines. But I have to say I really liked the strings set that low.

Attached Files:

4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I have heard the existing pups are pretty darn good"

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Does switching scales (30, 32, 34) really mess with one's muscle memory? I have a 34" scale Squier DAJV that I love. I am going with the short scale fretless because when I have played normal (or near normal) scale fretless basses it sometimes can be an uncomfortable stretch to hit right on the lines.

I know people who are proficient @ DB & bass guitar don't have much problems switching. But 30 -34 scale is similar (close) but different. I do suspect I might encounter problems.

7. Ken J

They are
    The bass is easy to modify and looking to see what happens with a simple pick up swap

8. Ken J

I have 34, 30 and a upright
    The upright it never an issue but does require a lot more stamina the others take a few songs to get use to. I'm leaning towards short scales at this time. I have a Birdsong on order and this is a big commitment towards short scales.

9. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

If I didn't have a 6 string with a low b I would show a similar commitment to short scales. Though I suspect a 33" or 32" low b might not be as bad as people advise. Though I can't afford say, a Stambaugh or Fedora. I am going to draw the line between a 6 string 34 scale fretted, & a 30 scale 4 string fretless, & make do

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree. And in my experience (I have seven SX basses :) the nuts have been cut pretty much correct for the instrument. However, SX nuts are rather primitive plastic affairs and a big improvement can be made by getting a Graphtech black tusq nut. They are precut for strings making that part easy and they have a lot of models and you have to measure to find the one closest to fit your SX. I've not had much problem finding one that works. But then you have to get the sandpaper out to fit either the nut or the groove to the new situation.

The main advantage of the new nut is they are lubed and keep the strings from sticking when tuning. I swear they help tone as well (even though I was sure that this was a myth)

Sometimes SX tuners are stiff so a better nut can help. Also SX factory strings stink and should be first thing replaced. Often they need shielding too. Pots are not great but ususally last a while so I typically replace them only when they start to get "scratchy". Pickups are usually quite good. And bridge may or many not be decent depending on the model you bought. Sometimes frets need leveled on fretted models. Sometimes they are just fine. I hear sometimes fretlines need to be sanded down on fretless models. I had one fretless neck where inlays came loose and raised up causing problems.

I have an SX Jazz fretless in alder and rosewood fingerboard that cost me $99 a few years ago. It needed virtually nothing but strings and shielding. I still have it and still love it.

Great mod starter for the money in any case.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, time was when I played 34, 30 and upright. Those were 4 string days. I used to love the fact that I could reach things on the 30 I couldn't on the 34. I always thought the tone on a 4 string short scale 4 string was OK.

But now I only play 5 strings or more but I just haven't been sold yet on a shortscale B string that actually works. And I sold the upright quite a few years ago...but I still keep getting GAS for another one...

12. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Sorry. Duh, but if it has shielding problems, what can be done to fix it?

13. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Also, I have Fatbeams ready for the bass (105, 85, 65, 45) but they won't be short scale DRs. So the E string won't be tapered at the top where I wrap it around the tuner.

14. Ken J

I thru body my short scales to pick up 2 more inches. I'm looking into returning the barrels back up the back side of the bass to pick up enough room to install 34" strings on a 30" bass. This would allow a full range of choices of strings.

Attached Files: