1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NV610 Cab and Amp Pairing

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by azbazz, Nov 26, 2013.

1. azbazz

azbazz

What Amp do you use with your NV610 when playing rock/blues?

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

When I use the NV610, the amps that I have to choose from. are ThunderFunk 550B, Ampeg Classic SVT, Aguilar ToneHammer 500, Traynor YBA3 & YBA3A and a Crate bT350 ... each amp has a different voicing along with different weights, but what makes the NV610, is the cab sounds good with any quality amp ...... IMHO

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    amps that sounded great with it: original ampeg V4b, orange ad200b, ampeg svt, Sunn 1200s, fender super bassman 300, ampeg svp-pro with a power amp, and a JGR preamp.

amps I didn't like with it so much: Ashdown EVO II.. it sounds incredible with the nv412, but a little dull thru the 610 due to it's low mid focus.
    also, the fender 300 pro... it sounded really good, but I actually think it pairs WAY better with the fender 610, believe it or not.

whatever you use, I find that powerful heads, like 1200 solid state Watts, or 300 tube watts, really bring them to life.

I'd bet money the mesa carbine m9 would sound great with it.

gotta say though, it's weird to me that the 610 gets all the love. it's a great cab, no doubt, but it's my least favorite of the NV series. everything that sounds good with it sounds better on the 412 or 215. Also, like with the Ashdown, there are some amps it doesn't mesh with as well as the others.

4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I have to agree with eyeballkid on the older Fender Bassman heads, at one time I had the Bassman 1200 Pro and the Bassman 300 Pro, both were good sounding amps, I found myself using the Bassman 1200 Pro the most, with the NV610, it had a nice tight,thick bottom end, with tons of headroom, now I'm playing much smaller gigs and a rig like that is just too much for the dives I currently play

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

So far I'm really digging the Eden Navigator preamp running into my GK 800RB.
    It really just puts a grin on my face every time I play through it.

Also my GK 400RB and Ampeg PF-500 sounds really good with my NV610.

Attached Files:

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    oh yeah... the fender TB-1200 fit very well with it.

8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    if this thread continued long enough I think you'll find just about every amp listed! lol.

9. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I use my Marshall VBA400 with my NV610. So far, I really like what I am hearing!
    Fishheadjoe

10. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

I have found sonic magic combining Monique and one of the new NV610T (has the tweeter).
    Totally GAS free at the moment. This cab sounds great with whatever amp I put on it...GBE1200, Markbass F500. Lovin' this cab. I don't want to stand in front of anything louder. Never had this kind of headroom. It's nice!

11. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

I've used an Ampeg SVT and a Mesa Walkabout with great results.

12. azbazz

azbazz

I just purchased a NV610T. I have in my inventory a 400+, Streamliner 900, and GK 1001RB II as options to use.....or go purchase another head based on the feed back/experience from the Forum.

13. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

The Mesa Prodigy and Ampeg SVT sound killer through an NV610.

14. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

I use either a mid-70s SVT or a GK MB500 with mine. Both sound great through it but there's definitely some special synergy between the NV and the old Ampeg. Snarly with super punchy bottom end.

I've had my NV610 since 2004 and I haven't had any big cabinet GAS since. It's just a great sounding box and not too tough to move around.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I would recommend a vintage SVT or other quality all-tube amp, but they are very heavy, so I use lighter-weight rack rigs with tube or tube-emulating preamps. The new SansAmp VTRM preamp doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a real SVT, but it does a reasonably good job of imitating SVT-style tones, including the sound of warm power tubes.

If you're not interested in setting up a rack rig (separate preamp and power amp contained in a rack case), then check the other suggestions here.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

I play an Ampeg SVT-II nonpro into my Berg NV610.

Me likey da tone and da feel maan!

I also like my Trace V4 through the NV610 as well.

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Didn't you once use a Monique+power amp into that cab?

18. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    I have used the following with the NV610, all with amazing results:

- Ampeg SVT 7-Pro

- Ampeg SVP-Pro into Crown XTi2002 / Carvin DCM1000 / Carvin DCML1000

- Aguilar DB750

- Genz Benz Streamliner 900 (damn near identical performance and tone to the DB750 surprisingly)

Favorite was the SVP-Pro plus power amp

19. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Actually, no, I was running the Monique/power amp into a pair of Genz Uber 212 cabs. Although that rig was nice, I like the tone and feel of the Ampeg all-tuber/NV610 more. I just have to make sure I have Motrin handy when it's time to move the rig! :D

20. paintrecords

paintrecords

I used an Ampeg v4b with mine and it kicked.

21. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

I jealous. I've been looking for a Traynor YBA3A for years.