1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NVBD: 1960 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Nov 26, 2013.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

New Vintage Bass Day!

Ok, I confess, I received this bass last Friday, but I'm just getting around to posting.

I will preface this by saying, I love vintage basses, and mostly vintage Fenders.

I currently have a 1966 Fender Jazz and a 1973 Fender Precision. Both are CBS Era, but despite what some may say, both are terrific basses.

Anyway, I've wanted a Pre-CBS Fender for a while now, and luckily there was a very nice seller on ebay who accepted my offer on this one.

It's a 1960 Fender Precision bass. All original except for the decal, a missing piece of wire grounding the jack, 2 plugged ash tray and a few solder joints.

The finish was stripped, but what you see is the original Fender sealer finish. The original Olympic White paint is still under the pick guard.

I haven't gotten around to setting it up yet (the neck is straight, but the action is pretty high and the saddle adjustment screws are rusted solid!) but it sounds terrific!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

Congrats, man! That's a beaut!!!

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I'm not a vintage Fender expert, but it sure looks nice to me. Congrats!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

7. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

nice. you thinking about refinishing it perhaps? i think a relic'd oly white would kill.

8. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

that looks like an ash body... Blonde color?

9. thisSNsucks

You know, the thought had crossed my mind, but in all honestly I kind of dig it just how it is right now. The grain is really pretty nice on it, it might be a shame to cover it up.

10. thisSNsucks

Well it definitely was Olympic white at some point, just look under the pickgaurd.

As far as the body wood I'm not too sure. I assumed Fender really just used alder for their bodies in the 50's/60's.

The bass itself is pretty light (8.2lbs) so I didn't think it was ash, but who knows.

11. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

Yes, Fender used alder for all their bodies in the sixties, except "white blonde", which had ash: waaaaaaay too big of a picture to put between IMG tags. Sure looks like that color (slightly more yellow than OW) underneath the guard, and WB is semi-transparant, you'll see the grain through it:
    [​IMG]

12. RickBlair

RickBlair

Get some PB Blaster to use on the rusted saddle screws. Any chain auto parts store will have it. Depending on how rusty the screws are, you may need to apply it daily for 3-4 days until you feel the screws start to move. Don't force the screws - once they turn a hair start working them back and forth gently and apply more PB. The screws will free up more and more until they can be removed.

You could heat the saddles with a soldering iron to help the PB penetrate if necessary.

Rick B.

13. aledeville

aledeville

Hard to believe this thing is more than fifty years old... looks way better than my Nash ;)

14. Alex1984

Alex1984

If you ever plan to restore it, JohnK's your man.

15. 1960jbass

1960jbass

My dream Fender is from my birth year and that is what you scored. I'm jealous!!!!

16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    Congrats! That neck profile is my favorite! I can't believe how perfect your pickguard is :eek: !!! And, of course, the awesome Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard :)

17. thisSNsucks

Sure is a possibility! I dig the grain showing through.

My 1966 Jazz bass was restored by JohnK. If this one ever needs anything, he's my guy for sure!

Yeah the neck profile is wide at the nut and flat front to back. I'm going to take the calipers to it to see what it all measures out too.

The pick guard is shrinking a bit, but not too bad. I was surprised of how different the pick guard is from my 73. The pattern and the coloring are pretty different.

18. slickbass3

slickbass3 SilGarzaJr Supporting Member

Agree!

19. christopherogut

christopherogut

Wow, gorgeous!

I've always wondered this and perhaps this is a good opportunity to ask... I've seen lots of older Fenders with stripped finishes that still have original paint beneath the pickguard. How were people stripping their finishes that this area remains untouched? I'd imagine that I'd completely gut the body and strip the paint with a combination of thinner or paint stripper and some sanding... how might this bass have been stripped?

20. thisSNsucks

I think this one was taken down mainly with sandpaper. There is no damage to the guard so it was most likely taken off during the stripping process, however whoever did the work probably figured not to waste any extra elbow grease on stripping whats under the PG since you wont see it anyway.

21. Davo-London

Davo-London

Could be blonde rather than olympic white, which would explain the ash. I'm not certain it is ash though from the grain. It looks like ash-light or alder-heavy to me!

Other details all look good so well scored. Enjoy that lovely slab of Brazilian rosewood!

Davo