NY Phil - Tim Cobb new principal

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by ldduarte, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ldduarte

ldduarte

Did anybody heard something about it?
    I saw some people congratulating Tim Cobb as the new NY Phil principal bass, but what happened with Fora?
    If he was fired, it is a shocking news for me...

(I know it is not an audition, but it is related to a recent one...I didn't know where to write it)

2. bassadvocate

bassadvocate

Before rumor spins out, I hope to lay out the facts as they are currently known.

(content removed in an effort to control rumor and protect professional reputations in a public forum. Talkbass cannot control what is said privately but since we also have no way to verify information on matters such as these, keeping the thread on a positive note as regards who is currently holding the position seems the most reasonable course of action)

Tim Cobb, who is an excellent player and musician, seems to have been named as the appointed principal for the section in the wake of Fora's departure.

3. icactus

icactus

Tim took the audition last time around so maybe he was declared runner-up and so they can appoint him without having another round of auditions? Otherwise I'm pretty sure you can't just declare someone a new principal without a formal audition process.

4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

They can do whatever they want. Every orchestra has its own policies regarding auditions and appointments. I don't know what NY's contract looks like, but principal appointments are not uncommon. Particularly when the open audition process has already failed.

Is this confirmed as a permanent appointment? I would imagine they'll still hold an audition for assistant.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tomhuckaby

Tomhuckaby

I very much think this is an extremely valuable thread. The bass world needs to know what life is truly like on the "job". The psychological demands from all directions as principal, the henchmen, the assassination attempts, lack of recognition when every note you play is a solo any ways, your instrument seen as inferior by the recognition broker and his/her lackees, the academic telling you how to play your instrument when they have never even held a bass in their life , obfuscation, inaction as a weapon, all while trying to play better than you ever have to redeem your sense of satisfaction.
    Therefore it is very important to know when the audition process has proven to be fallible and why and what the outcomes are to be, Especially in the top orchestra job of the states, the NY Phil.

7. LeroyJenkins

LeroyJenkins

I would vote that this thread be taken down, or reduced to a congrats to Tim Cobb thread. The rumor mill spins both ways, and its a dangerous place to voice conjecture. Keep it civil. Lets keep Talk bass from sounding like a catty hair salon.

8. G-force

G-force

well that´s the way the cookie crumbles for all involved.

A bassist I greatly respect once told me that playing in an orchestra is 5% bass playin and 95% dealing with @$$holes.

Don´t quite agree. I would say a good 60/40. But who am I.

I still wouldn´t trade this life for anything.

Tim Cobb has been a great influence to my playing and I wish him all the good fortune and prosperity he can have .

Fora IMHO is one of the more exciting and talented bassists I have heard in many years. He will surely go more places .

As for me, I love good gossip and I think the sponsors of the site do as well:ninja:

@Tom, spot on.

9. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace

Care to elaborate, Tom? I'm sure we would all love to hear about your experience.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    After discussion with other admins, we have determined that while both points of view above are valid, since there is no way for us to verify information about who did what in these instances, and since professional reputations are affected by those inevitable google clicks these days, this thread and threads like it should try to remain positive and present information about who the audition winners are and other facts that can be verified. What goes in in private discussions between members, of course, is beyond our purview. :)

11. ekspain

ekspain

Love that quote G-Force! Def. lot of truth in that!

12. chris1125

chris1125

So assuming Mr. Cobb is the new principal of the philharmonic, does this mean there will be a principal audition at the met? Don't they have a section audition coming up here soon?

Is this official or all speculation at this point? Either way, I think we can all agree that he is more then qualified for the job.

13. atrombs

atrombs

A likely scenario for the Met is that Leigh Mesh is promoted to Principal. That's what happened with Tim. He was originally Associate Principal and was then promoted.

14. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    What happened with Fora?

15. Dbass926

Dbass926

Lol, excellent question.

16. Fez1

Fez1

The players who have inside knowledge of the situation or are well connected enough to all parties involved to have a good perspective on what went down are not the people who are going to ever contribute to talkbass. And if there are people who come across this who are privy to details, I would hope that they are smart enough to keep their mouths shut on a public forum.

17. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Why the gag order? I bet you there are people in this forum that are spending lots of money and time preparing for these auditions and if the workplace is unwelcoming they probably want to know. Information about people's impressions and experiences is very important in the marketplace. This is why sites like eBay are so successful. here at talkbass we have a tendency to discourage any type of bad reviews. In my opinion this is a mistake.

18. iplaybass1997

iplaybass1997

Geez, so much for trying to learn a lesson here! I would love to know what could get me "fired" for being a bad-ass on the bass. I sure wouldn't want this to happen to me (if I ever get hired by a band.)

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Just for the record, there is no "gag order"; rather, after checking with the site owner and admin, it was decided that since the information that was being posted was unverifiable, it would be better to let the person sharing that information do so privately rather than publicly. There is nothing stopping anyone from sending a friendly PM to anyone else asking for details.

20. phill321

phill321

Rumors aside, is Tim Cobb the new principal? Did he officially leave the MET and take NYP full time? Or is he just going to fill in again until they hold another audition?
    Thanks.

21. KevinSchmidt

KevinSchmidt

Once he finishes the season with the MET, he is going to be the official NYP principal. He was one of the finalists from the last round of auditions and they are choosing to move forward with him for the future.

Tim says since the MET finishes in May, he may start playing with the NY Phil right after since their season lasts until early July.