NYU- anyone do music there?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Waster, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Waster

Waster

This is following my previous thread located here >
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/becoming-session-musician-what-does-entail-929291/

Basically, I am interested in becoming a session bassist, and I posted a thread asking for advice. Someone said that New York, LA, Nashville and London are where it's at concerning sessions. Of these, I am most interested in New York and London. I'm from Northern Ireland, and hate it here, so don't really mind moving from here.

I've been looking at universities, and stumbled upon NYU. Anyone have any experience with it? Good points, bad points? Would I even be able to study there and would my qualifications (ie GCSEs and A levels) mean anything? I know Berklee isn't too far away, and will probably look at it too. If anyone has any other suggestions please contribute.

We have a decent university here with a decent music department, but since I plan to move away anyway I'd like to use university as an oppourtunity to make some friends in the area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Connor
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

NYU is very well known for their business programs.

I definitely wouldn't say that its close to Berklee, but I suppose it's "closer" than it would be from Ireland.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Well, I was going to say that I have a former classmate from NT that is on the NYU theory faculty, but I just looked him up and he's no longer there . . . he's at Univ of PA. Looks like his career is doing well.

Berklee is also a very good school but expensive. You could look into UNT, which is a much more affordable school but you'd be required to play double bass.
  4. Waster

Waster

I mean that top-right hand corner of the map general area haha, that's pretty close to me ;) Thanks for your reply
  5. Waster

Waster

Thanks for your advice, I'll look at that school, although I can't play double-bass at the minute, it's a possibility in the future. Thank you!
  6. undeadbass

undeadbass

Some of my favorite people that I play with are NYU graduates. Just my 2 cents.
  7. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Had a few friends who graduated from nYu music programs, they liked it. I played in a 15 piece funk band made up of nyu music students back the and they were all great players.
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I don't think NYU allows electric bass as a principal instrument. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  9. Snarf

Snarf Supporting Member

Don't do NYC if you're looking for session work. It's not here. LA or Nashville are where you should be looking. There, you can do small-time demo sessions that actually pay, and the union has some pull. I'm starting to realize that music in NYC is nearly dead.

Edit: Might want to check out the New School for jazz. I think they allow electric bass there.
  10. joe vegas

joe vegas

my NYU degree was for Double Bass. great school in a great era, but that was a while ago. if you're thinking of new york, why not consider Manhattan School, Mannes or Julliard?
  11. fmoore200

fmoore200

As another poster suggested, look into Manhattan school of music, Maines, etc..

If you want to go to school for music, and you're good enough to get in, then I would think a performing arts school such as the ones mentioned would be better. Everyone would have the same focus and music would be everywhere. I have heard of some programs (Berklee) that are extremely competitive from a student interaction standpoint where cliques are formed and the like.

Still Berklee may be your best bet since you play EB.

I tried to transfer to NYU with a GPA of 3.56 and was denied :eek: I'm glad though, because I'd be even further into debt, lol