OBP2 Volume/output level question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kucor, Dec 19, 2012.

1. kucor

kucor

Hi, I have Delano JC5HE/OBP2 combination and output level is absolutely same in active and passive mode, + it's pretty low, is this unusual?:meh: I know Delanos are somewhat lower output, but not sure if Aggie pre should add some volume boost. it's wired 18V

on my Squier CV jazz with stock pups and J-retro preamp, output level is about as twice as on OBP2 , it's like :eek: when I play it on same amp with same settings.

all tested with flat eq settings.

any comments?

thanks

2. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    I have a Bart jazz/OBP3 combo in a bass and it's exactly as you described. With the preamp set flat, the active level is the same as the passive level. As soon as I boost any frequencies though, the active level changes rather drastically.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Purely my personal opinion:
    A well designed onboard preamp/EQ should NOT change the output level or "sound" of a bass guitar unless the EQ knobs are set to cut or boost.

4. kucor

kucor

so it's probably just Delano's low output. thanks guys. I've had OBP3 in the past but couldn't remember if it was adding some gain. well, probably not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

OBP3 is a unity gain preamp. Therefore, with everything flat, the output is the same as if you were going from pickups to output jack.