1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Obscure bass amps...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Muziekschuur, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Show us your unknown treasures. Who knows what yesteryears hotties were. Share them and educate the young. Lots of sounds now are nearly forgotten...
  2. kraigo

kraigo

No pics at present. They aren't unknown, but more obscure: My 1971 Traynor Mark II and my 80's AMP BH-420. Both do what they do quite well.

KO
  3. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Bought this two days ago. It is so obscure I can't figure out what it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone could tell me what model cab this is I'd appreciate it. Those are 12s in there. I play her for the first time tonight. :bassist:

--Bomb :bassist:
  5. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

I had a Roland SIP-301 bass preamp for a few years that really sounded great, especially the built in compressor. Downside was that I needed to lug a power amp along with it everywhere it went.
    [​IMG]
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Looks to be the mids for a PA/FOH stack. Add a sub and HF horn and you're set.
  7. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

'71 Univox UX1501. USA made (for two years), 140 watts, hand wired, four 6550 (GE), loud, thick, glassy, great for bass or guitar, used by Jimmy Page and JPJ a few times. It's been great since I picked it up. Running it through an Acoustic 408.

[​IMG]
  8. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

[​IMG]

I'm ma play my bass through it. Tonight. Wish me luck.

--Bomb :bassist:
  9. DogBone

DogBone

My 1973 Peavey F800-B

A true solid state titan from a bygone era.

260 watts at 4 ohms, 410 watts at 2 ohms.

Those numbers are @ 1 % THD. Not bad at all for it's day. :bassist:

[​IMG]

In it's original configuration, driving dual 18" Vega loaded folded horn cabs:

[​IMG]

The late Leon Wilkeson of Lynyrd Skynyrd can be seen with a couple of them stacked on top of a mass of Peavey cabs on just about any live performance in the '70s.

[​IMG]

More recently Jesse Keeler of Death From Above 1979 got part of his unique sound by cranking the built in distortion on his F800B (and running a clean signal through a separate Acoustic rig).

[​IMG]

Online manual at Peavey Archives:

http://peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/f800bg.pdf
  10. BassNeo

BassNeo

And rockin' the T-40. Just had mine in my hands 5 minutes ago.

I call mine 'Brutus'.
  11. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

1965 Ampeg Sb-12
    25 watt tube amp
    1x12 portaflex design
    Speaker connects through latchs to the seaker. Only done like that in 65 and 66.

1972 Traynor YBA-2B
    25 watt tube amp
    1x15 combo amp
    Made for 10 years.

1983 Fender Bassman 20
    18 watt tube amp
    1x15 combo amp
    Riviera designed amp about 500 made in 2 years.

All three great amps! All three have there own roles!

But i must say the Bassman 20 may be one of the most underrated amps of all time!

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/creehound/done/ll.jpg?t=1327277113
  12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    [​IMG]

Stak. 130w 4 EL34 head into a 1x18 W horn cab, same style as Acoustic 360. The head is really nice, the cab, not so much.
  13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

My early 1980's Musicman HD150 head made for both guitar and bass along with my 1979 Stingray. These heads are getting harder to find and really play nice, kind of a bassman type tone. 150watts in full power with a 75watt knock down switch and discrete channels for active/passive guitar and active/passive bass. It's a hybrid amp in a non traditional layout with the preamp set up as solid state and the power section all tube. Goes from Fender to Marshall on the guitar section and from Fender to Ampeg tones on the bass section. Love it, now looking for a 2x15 musicman bass cab to go with it.
    [​IMG]
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

When I was starting out playing bass I used to play through an ARB amp, that Bill DeArango (yes, that Bill DeArango :cool:) had in a rehearsal room in his University Heights music store. I can't find any info on them.
  15. Spectrum

Spectrum

I love how all Peavey gear looks like it will survive a nuclear war with no problem.
  16. nysbob

nysbob

I remember those! Weren't they covered with some kind of dyed rat fur? Came in different colors?
  17. wshines1892

wshines1892

After the end of the world, we'll all be munching Twinkies and playing Peavey amps.
  18. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

In 1965 the band I was in all had Bisphan 30watt tube heads and homemade cabs, mine with 2 15" Goodmans. The PA had the same amp. To my knowledge they were the only ones ever made.
  19. wkbryan

wkbryan

I'm pretty sure those are actually PA speakers. In 1980-1981 I worked at a music store that was a Acoustic dealer. Top-notch stuff. I bought a bass amp while I was working there and it up until 10 or so years ago when I traded it away for something a lot smaller. Still sounded great and hadn't had to replace so much as a fuse.
  20. BagelBruin

BagelBruin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Artisan Bass Works and South Paw Pedal Boards
    This makes an AMAZING guitar amp too!