Observations playing to the radio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by t77mackie, Feb 11, 2014.

1. t77mackie

t77mackie

Often at night I'll put my radio on and jam with whatever comes on my local classic rock station (WZLX and 100FM the Pike - not sure of call letters).

I noticed a couple things. Very often - more than should be by chance - they will play several songs in a row that are all in the same key. And I'm not talking about just E minor. They'll play 3 or more D songs or 3 C songs in a row. What the how? Do DJ's still pick their own songs or are the selections randomized by a computer program? What is causing this phenomenon?

2nd - more often then not songs are not in tune. Is this because of computerized time compression or something else?

Just wondering...

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

I think the key similarities are just coincidental. Some DJ's actually still pick their own tunes.

The tuning issue could be a number of things: Songs were originally recorded in a diff tuning. Tape during recording or mixing/mastering could have been slightly sped up or down for effect ect..

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Classic rock?
    Originals recorded on analog RTR, then tinkered with during mixing and mastering.

It used to be fairly popular (Top 40 AM...) to crank the speed in the radio studio. Not only does it 'add energy' but music is an expense while commercial time is revenue...

As for programming the blocks of music - there are still some independent stations but many have limited corporate-controlled playlists. Donno how much control an individual DJ has in selecting an individual track from the playlist any more. Some more than others, I'd guess.

My local HD2 jazz channel doesn't even have locally originated programming - it's a stream from somewhere. Live programming with old-school DJ's returns during the night...

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

^^ That's what I figured with the tuning thing. I'd have to listen to several sources of the same song to be sure - but that just sounds like a lot of work....

As far as the key thing - next time it happens I'll jot down the songs.

5. Register to disable this ad