OC-2->Fuzzy Elephant?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Jan 6, 2013.

1. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I'm thinking about building a wooly mammoth clone, but from what I have read, it doesn't play well after active basses or buffered pedals. I read in another thread that maybe adding a 100K linear pot, wired as a variable resistor between the input and the first cap would maybe work?

Has anybody tried this? And if it does work would you be able to use an active bass in this chain?

If there is no way around this, are there any other DIY gated fuzzes that will work after the OC-2?
  2. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

I know it's all down to personal opinion in the end, but I've never had a problem using one with my active Lakland 44-01.
  3. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I'm not too worried about using it with an active since only one of my three basses is active, but both these pedals are supposed to be in front of the chain. I don't have a fuzz, but I tried my rat in front of the OC-2 and didn't really like what it sounded like. It sounded a lot better with rat after the OC-2.
  4. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

There's no rules to what goes where, I've always put octave>dirt. Sounds better to me that way.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Skrogh

Skrogh

If you build a wolly mammoth clone, and use it with an active bass (or the OC-2), I'd put a 100k pot on the input. I did, and it sounded great (never did get to box it up though..)
  7. rr5025

rr5025

Isn't that just the mastotron?
  8. jucas

jucas

The mammoth shouldnt sound much different with either an active bass or an oc-2 in front of it. some people like the way it sounds, but i definately prefered the mammoth with a passive bass.

i thought that the oc2 didnt suffer too much with the mammoth out front.

in the end i built a clone and thought that adding a transistor stage (could look up and steal the input section from gus smalley's 3 transistor fuzz) sounded closest to using it with a passive bass. I though almost no difference and no worse than using a small transformer on the input
  9. Skrogh

Skrogh

With a different tone stack, yes. Problem?
    The benefit of the resistor/pot is a much wider gaincontroll.
  10. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Man Skrogh you've been a lot of help! Since you never boxed your clone and if you still have it, ever think about getting rid of it as is?

Edit: Just to be clear, if I added the pot, the left lug would be for the input, middle lug would go to the board and the right lug would be ground?
  11. Skrogh

Skrogh

Nah I don't have it any more, I build it on a breadboard, but never did find any use for it in a band. But I can hook you up with a vero-board layout

The pot has to be wired as a rheostat (fancy word for variable resistor) so connect the middle lug to the pedal input, the right to the middle lug (gets rid of some scratching) and the left to your bass. Or you can switch the left and right lug around for reversed action. Bigger resistance means less gain.
  12. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

So in other words the middle lug goes on to the vero board and the left lug goes to the input jack?

I have few layouts thanks :) Trying to figure out which one is best. Maybe the one that says Wooly Mammoth verified....