OCD tone on a budget! Mooer/Joyo/other?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by knumbskull, Jan 24, 2013.

1. knumbskull

knumbskull

...is my question!

I hear that both the Mooer Hustle Drive and Joyo Ultimate Drive do a good version of the Fulltone OCD overdrive sound. I've listened to clips of both on bass and they sound good. Don't suppose anyone has A/B'ed them? Which did you prefer?

Specific concerns:

Low end loss - owners of either, what are your thoughts on this? Don't want to be bothered with blending.
    QC - the Joyo is crazily cheap (around 30GBP) and i've read reviews of people getting dud units.
    True bypass - allegedly both are, but there seems to be some doubt about the Joyo
    The Mooer looks great but is relatively new on the scene... Should i? Is it worth the higher (still pretty cheap! - 50GBP) price tag?
    Other - ?????

Finally... I already have a Bad Monkey that i like, except for lack of bypass. Am i just doubling up for no reason?

Thanks

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Ps in an ideal world i'd get the Fuzzrocious version, but i'm curious and the extra cash isn't there at the moment....

3. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

i've heard really good things about the Joyo. Not sure on Mooer, but I haven't heard a bad thing about the company so far.

I use an OCD v4 and it's my favourite dirt pedal at the moment, retains low end really well.

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Thanks - i was wondering about the low end on the original, too...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

A buddy did a shoot out of the OCD vs the Joyo UD. He felt like the UD was better for bass. The OCD had some highs that could be dialed out. But, same settings and all, Joyo is deeper.

In that knowledge, the buddy kept the OCD for guitar use.

With the "rent a pedal" that pedal trader offers, I'd say its worth the $20 or whatever to try it. Then if you like it, they invoice you the difference. The UD my buddy passed on is now mine. I run a fuzz pedal now as my always on tone. The Joyo really beefs it up when the guitar player goes off into a wanking session (3piece band).

I really can't believe it took me almost 7 months to figure out what I was missing. The joyo is currently filling the sonic gap.

7. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Save up for the Demon King the OSD older brother. The low end that is not lost is definitely worth it as you will never be lost in the mix and will always have enough dirt on tap with added bonuses like feedback looper.

8. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

I got this OCD clone done by a local effect builder, I specifically requested him to add a blend feature. When the blend switch turned on, the Level knob becomes a Blend knob.

9. Jipii

Jipii

I just got me the Mooer Hustle Drive. It works very well with bass. In a week or two I'm going to A/B it with OCD v4.

10. bassboysam

bassboysam

So are you saying the DK has less low end loss than the OSD? i find the OSD a little useless on the High setting.

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

i'd be interested in this!

12. knumbskull

knumbskull

well the OSD would be nice but i'm curious about the budget options :)

the feedback looper is a bit surplus for my needs TBH...

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

that's really useful, thanks. i don't think any shops do the rent-a-pdeal thing here but for the price, it's tempting just to get one...

14. pacosarae

pacosarae

I use an OCD v4 and it's my favourite dirt pedal at the moment[​IMG][​IMG]

15. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

That blend knob/level knob is easy to implement. I had one pedal I built for myself with a feature like that. I thought it was cool but I figured that folks would prefer two separate knobs.

Has that ever caused you a problem? Like in blend mode, is the dirt side too loud?

16. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

You would be amazed at how useful you can make a feedback looper, I have one on my Rat King from Fuzzrocious and it was seriously a game changer to my sound. But I can't say how awesome the OSD is, seriously the only pedal I haven't considered getting rid of on my board.