Ochanomizu neighborhood Tokyo (music instrument Mecca)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassEnvy78, Apr 13, 2014.

1. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Hi guys

I am planning a trip to Japan and see if you guys knew Tokyo's Ochanomizu neighborhood.

Basically I would like to know if one can get good deal on MIJ/CIJ basses and guitars....

I have been GAS'ing on a MIA fretless jazz bass (and a Fender Tele Hot Rod 52) and wonder if I could get similar instruments over there and bring them back in a double gig bag.

Thoughts? Experience? Negotiation stories?
  2. vincenzomauer88

vincenzomauer88 Supporting Member

I was just there last week! You can't negotiate prices but pretty much everything I saw was $200-300 under US pricing. Some weren't even available in US. I played a hollowbody Jazz. Awesome.
  3. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

That street is a musician's dream.

I've purchased two instruments over the years when I was in Tokyo.

I always haggle, there are so many stores competing, you're bound to get a good deal. I got a Kawai bass in the early 90s for 40,000 yen (at the time it was about USD$300), with gig bag included. A couple years back I got a Fender JB-62 for 60,000 yen (about USD$800) with gig bag. Shop around, take your time and look for the best deal and see what 'pu-reh-zento' they offer as well.

Shimokura is a great shop.

http://www.shimokura-guitar.com/e_bass.html

You can try Shibuya as well, they have some good stores there. But, I got my best deals in Ochanomizu.
  4. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Thanks for the pointers!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Aaron GE

4Aaron GE

Even if you don't end up buying a guitar or bass, you'll probably come home with some accessories. They're dirt cheap there too.
  7. pudgychef

pudgychef

Planning a similar trip this summer. Have wanted to check this out for years.