1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Ochanomizu neighborhood Tokyo (music instrument Mecca)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassEnvy78, Apr 13, 2014.

1. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Jun 28, 2012
    Hi guys

I am planning a trip to Japan and see if you guys knew Tokyo's Ochanomizu neighborhood.

Basically I would like to know if one can get good deal on MIJ/CIJ basses and guitars....

I have been GAS'ing on a MIA fretless jazz bass (and a Fender Tele Hot Rod 52) and wonder if I could get similar instruments over there and bring them back in a double gig bag.

Thoughts? Experience? Negotiation stories?

2. I was just there last week! You can't negotiate prices but pretty much everything I saw was $200-300 under US pricing. Some weren't even available in US. I played a hollowbody Jazz. Awesome.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    That street is a musician's dream.

I've purchased two instruments over the years when I was in Tokyo.

I always haggle, there are so many stores competing, you're bound to get a good deal. I got a Kawai bass in the early 90s for 40,000 yen (at the time it was about USD$300), with gig bag included. A couple years back I got a Fender JB-62 for 60,000 yen (about USD$800) with gig bag. Shop around, take your time and look for the best deal and see what 'pu-reh-zento' they offer as well.

Shimokura is a great shop.

http://www.shimokura-guitar.com/e_bass.html

You can try Shibuya as well, they have some good stores there. But, I got my best deals in Ochanomizu.

5. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks for the pointers!

6. 4Aaron GE

4Aaron GE

Mar 14, 2014
    Koriyama, Japan
    Even if you don't end up buying a guitar or bass, you'll probably come home with some accessories. They're dirt cheap there too.

7. Planning a similar trip this summer. Have wanted to check this out for years.