octave and note naming

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 4stringSlaughtr, Nov 25, 2013.

1. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Hey guys! Taking some music theory classes at my local community college. And we are going through reading sheet music , circle of 5th's for the major scale , key signatures ect ...and we starting talking about octaves on the piano, and about for example , all the c notes are c sure, but they are like a c2 or a c4 or whatever depending on where you play the note at on the piano, so my question is there any diagrams or pictures anywhere that tell what number the note is on the bass fret board...I know where a majority of the notes on the fretboard , just sometimes when reading sheet music and practicing bass, I play the wrong note, not the wrong letter note, the right note , just in the wrong spot (should be the c on the g string , instead of the c on the a string for example) sorry for making this post so confusing , thanks for any help !
  2. mambo4

mambo4

On a piano music, The C above the bass clef is middle c : C4
    A Bass Guitar is transposed down an octave, so the same line on bass music is C3

this chart, minus one octave:

[​IMG]
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Mambo and I posted at the same time. His chart showing both the treble and bass clef is a little better.

Go here; http://www.studybass.com/lessons/reading-music/bass-clef-fretboard-notes/

Then click on Bass Clef Notes on the Fretboard - pdf

Copy that and print it out.

Notice you have three octaves shown. This roughly relates to ledger notes below the staff for one octave, then notes within the staff for the second octave and then ledger notes above the staff for the 3rd octave. Notice where middle C is located - first ledger note above the staff.

Just recognizing it's a C note is not enough, It's a C note located where.

Ledger notes below the staff.
    Ledger notes in the staff.
    Ledger notes above the staff.

Yes that was a step I had not anticipated.

Good luck.
  4. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Thanks so much ! Exactly what I was looking for !
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mambo4

mambo4

notice I said "minus one octave"