Octave-Fuzz-Envelope in the Studio:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RoeyHaviv, Nov 16, 2012.

1. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Michael filmed a little at yesterday's recording session.
    He asked for a filtered Synth tone to go under the bass track so I pulled out the M288, Disnortion and EP2 -
    (Don't worry -this is going to be buried in the mix :ninja:) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7mODFPgWz4&feature=youtu.be

What do/would you use?

2. bassbrad

bassbrad

Cool sound. I would either whip out the EHX BMS or create a sound on the Zoom B2 I use for synthy sounds.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I own more synthesizers than bass guitars, but my bass pedalboard option for this type of tone would be TRex compressor>TRex Bass Juice>MXR Bass Octave Deluxe>MXR Bass Envelope Filter, and if I wanted to make that sound more shimmery, I'd add TRex Twister, (chorus). Sometimes it's more fun to play this type of stuff on bass guitar, but I usually wimp out and use a synth.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

That's a terrific sound. With the equipment I have I'd be firing up the Source Audio mutliwave distortion and envelope filter. But I think what you have there is solid gold. This is a little softer, but .. it's a rough mix of something we were working on a couple of weeks ago. (Also, I cannot guarantee that everyone on this track was in a state of complete sobriety o.0 )

http://scottfeldstein.net/misc/2012/2wicky.mp3

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Scott - That is an awesome tone too.

BTW, I use EBS Multycomp for compression but after the filter (so i get more control over it with my fingers).
    The EP2 has an EF in and the Disnortion has a clean out, connect those and you can really crank the fuzz gain without lossing control over the filter.

7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Cool sounds Roey and Scott. I would use either OC-2>Co-pilot Orbit>M-Filter on the Zoom B3 or OC-2-Gnomeratron VTF>M-Filter or MXR Blue Box>M-Filter or just the Orbit set up for lower octaveish sounds>M-Filter. There's also a bunch of synth patches I use on the B3 for sounds similar to octave>fuzz>filter.

8. newbold

newbold

I run a similar chain (OC-2 for octave and EP-1 for envelope phase, loves the disnortion) and get amazing results with my compressor (a DOD Milk Box, FWIW) before my EP-1. Since you have a sidechain trigger in on your phaser and out on your grit, having a more even signal going into the unit that is being controlled by your sidechain will increase its effectiveness.

Think of it this way:

Since I'm taming the signal going in and I'm phasing - not adding a large amount of gain - then the effect will not only be more pronounced but will have less of a negative impact on the gainstaging of my followed envelope.

I run my tuner through the sidechain trigger. We have a VERY similar pedalboard...I've set my expression to control the sweep on my envelope phaser.

Instead of the Markbass SuperBooster, my DI is the Eden WTDI.

All in all, I'd have to say that it's quite the thing to see someone with similar gear. neat.

9. newbold

newbold

OP: Sorry for killing this thread.

10. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Oh, I was going to comment and forgot.
    I'll try the compressor between the OFO and the EP2.
    The reason I have it last is to ease the EP2's gain bump.

We do have a similar rig, I was thinking about the Eden before I got the Markbass but the option to kick in the filters opened my wallet.

It sounds really good as a studio Pre too, I usually use an Avalon U5 (and I still prefer the Avalon over anything), but at the studio that we are recording this album at they use "HHB Radius Fatman 2".
    I played it side by side with the Superbooster and the MB killed it (the engineer stopped and wrote down the brand nam and model)!

Here is (pre mastering) one of the tracks with just bass>multycomp>superbooster>board:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  11. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Well . . .
    I'm not sober after listening to this . . .
    Completely fabulous > perverted bass + wonderful voice + lyrics :D
    Thanks!

12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Hey, thanks! Actually no human ears even should be hearing this, as it's yet to be mixed and mastered for the album due to be released around May. :ninja:

Laura and I often record simultaneous, for moral support. In between takes we smoke and drink beer. The result is often weird. I went home that night thinking I'd re-record all the bass at home and send it via soundcloud. Now that I hear it, though, I am really reluctant to change a note of it.

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Great clip!!

14. newbold

newbold

If the EP2 is set up anything like the EP1, there is a bunch of gain that can be introduced or not.

I used to regularly notch my sweep and use it as a band passing boost to accentuate my fuzztone.

Similarly, I have been trying to avoid adding much gain to the signalpath, leaving that for the disnortion.

If set specifically to avoid a gain boost, the compressor can be set pre-phase because there will be no significant increase in level of the now wet signal.

You won't have to compensate for dynamics as much because you will be accentuating them specifically in a more controlled manner.

HOWEVER...my compressor has a high frequency expander so YMMV