Octave Pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassChuck, Jan 22, 2014.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I've been all over the YouTube vids about octave pedals. It seems like there are a several good products out there, but a lot of them center around a synthy kind of tone. I'm hoping to find something that has close to the input sound. I'd using this for the lower octave in jazz and musical theater. Also I play fretless, if that would make a difference.

I'm leaning towards the EBS OctaBass, but some of the vids with OC-2 and OC-3 sound pretty good. Again the examples are fretted bass and short note funk so I'm not sure how they would deal with longer notes and darker sound. Tracking, of course is important, but no glitches and tone are top of the list.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

OC-2 is coveted for its synth sound and somewhat notorious for glitchy tracking on some units. OC-3 is a digital version and is okay but doesn't sound as good as the OC-2 IMO, so I would steer away from those given your goals. I think the EBS is a decent choice for that; in a similar discussion in another thread, someone is pretty happy with their Aguilar Octamizer. I personally use the octave options on the Zoom MS-60b. The Bass Pitch model on that unit is very clean sounding.
  3. AJ Brown

AJ Brown Supporting Member

I've had a bunch of 'em in both single pedals and multi-effect pedals. The EBS IMO doesn't track as well as the MXR Deluxe Octave. Overall I really liked the EBS emulator in the Line6 M5. This tracked the best.
  4. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Check out the Micropog. +1 on the Octimizer. You can get a cleaner more organic tone with the Octimizer but the Micropog tracks better since it is digital.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Another option to consider is the MarkBass SuperSynth.
    It tracks well, even on low-B, and has 3 octave presets that can be twiddled in software as well as controls for the -1, -2, and +1 octaves.

Yeah - it's big, it's expensive, and it requires about an amp of +12. But it's good at what it's good at.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Aguilar Octamizer.

Has a more natural sound and tracks better than both the EBS and the MXR. But, none of them track as well as a Micro Pog. I couldn't stand the sound of the MicroPog though. It's a tradeoff :)
  8. Swift713

Swift713

I'd suggest the micro POG as well. It tracks flawlessly, no glitches, natural tone on the lower octave.
  9. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    My faves are:

1) Line 6 M5 Bass Octave - thick and tracks well
    2) EBS - Best all around pedal, IMO.
    3) OC-2 - *The* sound that you think of with an octave, but doesn't track perfectly
    4) OC-3 - Use the guitar input and it sounds pretty good in POLY mode. The Range knob is very useful and you can set it so that you can slap with the low notes octaved and the high notes left alone, so no glitching

I was never happy with the MXR and I've owned three. The POG sounds too synthy for my tastes. Only briefly tried the Octamizer, but it didn't track well. In fairness, it was with a bright sounding bass, so the glitching could have been caused by that. Never tried an Octron, but I'd love to.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

I hear the one by gojira is good too.
  11. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

The Octamizer is nice, it has a tone knob for the octave-down, u can tune it to be synthy or smooth. Love mine.

I also love my vintage OC-2 since it's synthy sound can't be beat, but the other feedback on here is correct: it def depends on the pedal. I have had ones that track perfectly, and ones that are awful. The good 80's ones are getting rare and getting old, so it depends on the pedal. Anyway, if it's a natural tone you're after then the OC-2 might not be for you.

MXR BOD is also very adjustable, two tone knobs for the octave-down. Loved it when I tried it, would like to pick one up.

Never tried the EBS, but it's Stanley's fav octaver so it can't be bad!
  12. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Media:
    EHX Octave Multiplexer. You can get a good range of clean and synthy sounds, and with the sub switch, you can crush a mountain! With the high filter at about 2:00, bass filter at 10:00, blend at 9:00 and the sub switch engaged, monstrous sound. Rolling the high filter back will yield a cleaner sound, but I like some of that growl in my octave. I am getting an original MXR M88 for 'that' sound, but my Multiplexer is staying on the board.
  13. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

this!

Got an octamizer this week, I could not be happier. The sound is really nice.
  14. metaball

metaball

i don't think the POGs "track" at all. aren't they digital pitch shifters?
  15. Swift713

Swift713

I don't really know the technical definition of tracking. All I know is the POG sounds smooth, solid and consistent. I don't know how anyone can call it synthy, it's super clean, maybe a little boring. The octave up has a certain plasticky artificial sped up feel that just begs for some kind of dirt or filter to warm it up.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Big +1 to those who have suggested the Micro POG. That octaver is awesome and track flawlessly compared to any other octave Ive tried. The only thing about the POG that may turn you off is the digital quality it has. But IMO, the POG is one of the best octaves out there if youre looking for a clean, smooth and solid tracking octave. I regret getting rid of mine and plan on getting another one someday. Great pedal.
  17. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I forgot to mention the Multiplexer. This is a very inexpensive but effective octave pedal. Tracks as well as any other analog octave pedals. It can sound almost as synthy as an OC2 or just like an octave lower depending on the setting. A very underrated octave pedal IMO.
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The POg is an octave pedal. Polyphonic Octave Generator. Not a pitch shifter. The octave up almost sounds organ like. Not for everyone but it most def is IMO the cleanest and best tracking octave around right now.
  19. metaball

metaball

the way i understand it "analog trackers" identify an input note & output an analog signal of the identified frequency typically an octave down. the lag time it takes to identify the frequency is the lag people call "slow tracking". things like effects & being out of tune can interfere with the frequency identification process slowing it's ability to track.

digital pitch shifters take an input signal & digitally move the pitch of the frequency however many notes or semitones specified by the algorithm in pretty much real time or however many milliseconds the algorithm takes to process. it's able to pitch multiple notes. pedals that can do octave up, down, 5th, 7th, ect. at the same time tend to be digital.

the general consensus is the tradeoff is usually between the smoother tone but tracking lag of the analog pedal, vs the less pleasing but near realtime pitch shift of the digital one.
  20. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

What he said.

21. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Octamizer was great, but I like my FOXROX Octron better. Tracks better IMO, and has the fizzy upper octave which can add a nice effect sometimes.