Octave pedal recommendation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Axtman, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

I am not a big effects guy. I have a few bass effects pedals that I think are really cool sounding, I just don't have very many opportunities to use them.

Anyhow I am thinking about buying an octave pedal to help fatten up my sound on a few songs. Currently I play with an electric guitar and acoustic guitar in a worship band. There are a few contemporary Christian songs we cover that have the huge "Phil Spector Wall of Sound". When we play it, the songs sound kind of thin. I figure it I use an octave pedal and play an octave high that it will help fill out the sound. :bassist:

So I am currently considering the Boss OC-3 or the MXR M288 Bass Octave. Which one do you recommend and/or is there another pedal that I should consider.

Thanks!
  2. droo46

droo46

I think they both sound great. YMMV
  3. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

EHX Micro POG ..best tracking by far IMHO .... I never gig without one
  4. willsellout

willsellout

Amazing pedal.

Personally, as limited as it is, I really like my MIJ Boss OC-2. It's not perfect, but it's still pretty awesome. It doesn't do an octave up, but I like talking about it :)
  5. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

I recently tried three octave pedals; MXR BOD, Markbass Octaver and the Aguilar Octamizer. My new gig is disco and some dance tunes that I need to cop some synth tones and I need fast tracking for any of that bouncy disco octave stuff. Here's a quick summary-

MXR BOD- Great sustain, takes some tweaking to get good tone. Very poor on or around dead spots and the tracking would get slower as I played up the G string. Not fast enough to track and faster disco stuff octave stuff, glitches. Tracked down to a low F pretty consistently Also mine was VERY noisy while not playing and when it glitched it did so in an unpleasant way.

Markbass Octaver- Cool tone from this pedal. Slightly faster tracking than the BOD and in some places it seemed to work better, staccato on or around the dead spot weren't too bad. Playing below the D on the A string it would have some noticeable drop offs and glitches at times unless I would use a little vibrato. The glitches on this pedal weren't totally offensive except around the dead spots if I tried to sustain the note too long. Octave never got real loud and the pedals sounded best with an even mix of the original signal and the octave. It's a one tone pedal but sounded really, really good. Reminded me of the OC-2 but it's been years and years since I tried a OC-2 so my memory could be wrong. I was able to track down to low F. Pedal was quiet while not playing.

Aguilar Octamizer- Cool sounds, versatile and can sound HUGE! Sustain not so good (a little vibrato helps this) but the tracking is amazingly fast! Tracks down to a low E or F and it works great on or around dead spots (again staccato but it will sustain these notes ever so slightly longer than the other two). Quiet while not playing.

I ended up with the Octamizer, they all have their downfalls and strong points but it's speed and tone were what I was looking for.
  6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123 Supporting Member

All these are great pedals honestly. I like the aguilar, i only tried it once but it was killing.

I own an OC-3. It's not perfect, but it's pretty nice as a starter octave pedal. Some of these pedals are going to run you some money. I got my OC-3 used for around $50+shipping/tax from guitar centers used section. If you are looking to dable in octave, I'd recommend looking at the oc-3 or even the oc-2 which I think tracks cooler (some hiccups, but i like that). The poly mode in the oc-3 is nice because it can thicken up a tone and not just add muddy lows.

All in all - the pedals listed above are far superior. But if you want to make sure you dig the octave thing, I'd start with the OC family and buy used so you can get your money back if you don't dig it. And then if its your thing move on to something fancier.
  7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

If you're trying to fatten up a tone the best bet is an analog octaver. Sure they maybe monophonic but the bass will be FAT if you get the right one, set it up right and play to it.

My two favs (and on my board after trying LOTS of analog octavers) are

Boss OC-2 with synth mod: the classic and all time Fav for a reason. Use just the -1, use your neck pup and shake those walls. The synth mod allows the squarewave to be extracted for a low octave fuzz. Has independent blends for direct,-1 and -2.

Madbean Lowrider (Pearl OC-7 Clone) :
    This fun octaver has controls for direct,-1,-2 and +1. The +1 is dirty but all analog octavers have some grit to them. Has a trimpot to dial in the higher 8va and overall the sound of is very synthy.

There is the digital route but to me it loses a lot of its fatness. Don't be me wrong I love how they sound (I own a EHX HOG), just not what I think of when I think of with regards to wall of sound.
  8. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

OC-2 - classic. Very musical, fat, warm and a bit filthy synthy.
  9. icecycle66

icecycle66

I second the
    Madbean Lowrider (Pearl OC-7 Clone).
  10. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

If you are looking for a very natural sound I think EBS Octabass is the best, analog and very organic.
    In case you want even higher octave there is the Micro Pog, it is very reliable, great tracking and not too much expensive.
    ...Anyway the market is plenty of octaver, many of them are good, it is an effect much used for the bassguitar, check the tube.
  11. 5stringfindlay

5stringfindlay

I personally like the MXR Bass Octave deluxe. To me it just sounds smoother than the OC3.
  12. fercorellia

fercorellia

Aguilar Octamizer.
  13. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

Personally I recommend steering clear of the Boss OC-3. Weak and tinny sounding and even though it claims to have the original OC-2 circuit it sounds nothing like an OC-2. Just not a good octave pedal IMHO.

I had an OC-2 years ago and regret selling it but bought an MXR BOD on the strength of YT clips and reviews and it's really a really nice pedal. You can get as near as dammit to the classic OC-2 sound so you might want to check that out.

Have also heard good things about the Aguilar Octamizer but have never used one so no first-hand experience there I'm afraid.

I'd suggest a used Boss OC-2 if you can find one or an MXR BOD :)
  14. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Love my Aguilar Octamizer with electric upright:

15. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

One thing I forgot to mention about about the Octamizer is how punchy it is.... depending where you roll the contour it is just ridiculously punchy and fat. The MXR BOD can sound big but it lacks the weight and punch to the notes of the Octamizer.

I just got my new one today from bassstringsonline.com and I forgot mention that in my previous summary of the pedal. (The previous one I reviewed was purchased new from another online retailer and showed up beat up, chipped and dirty so I returned it.)
  16. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

I have to be really careful how much octave signal I dial in with my upright...it will fry a cab in a flash! :bassist:
  17. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

I bet it would! LOL! I got a kick out of your link.... The Walking on the Moon was is great too!
  18. Rob Fossil

Rob Fossil

If you are looking for an analog octave pedal like the Boss OC-2, the Foxrox Octron is the best option out there. You can dial in both octave up and octave down and it tracks really well for an analog octave pedal. One more tip, get a compressor to go along with the octave pedal, it makes a huge difference.
  19. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

That is friggin' awesome!
  20. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

I would recommend the Aguilar Octamizer, which is what you apparently ended up on anyway. :)
    I'm looking to get one soon myself!