1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Octave Pedal Recs for Electronic/Dance

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Icculus, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Icculus

Icculus

What's up all… I'm looking for an octave pedal that nails the low octave really well. I will probably be playing with the dry signal almost all the way down a lot to get that heavy, synthy sound. I didn't love what I heard from the Octabass so far. Others I'm looking at are the Aguilar Octamizer and the Boss OC-2/OC-3. Help would be much appreciated.
  2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Line 6 M5/9/13 best tracking to the lowest notes of any mentioned. Some profess a preference for the sound of an analog octaver, but I think the line 6 will serve you well.
  3. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch Supporting Member

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    Iron Ether Subterranea
    Line6 M series
    Eventide Pitchfactor/H9
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah

Very different price points and features for each, but I've used all of those in my band for the same purposes you're looking for
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The OC-2 is the standard by which all others are judged. Tracking schmaking...sounds awesome! I'm sort of digging the octave on this Digitech Bass Synth Wah I just got (sounds rather OC-2-like to me), but it won't let you do just octave down so it's most likely out for you.

There are digital pedals like the EHX Pog and Micro Pog, and the Digitech Whammy Pedal, but they're a whole different ballgame than analog octave pedals and sound quite different. Good, but more stringy and not quite as synthy.
  5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'm currently running an OC-3, and it tracks great. Not crazy about the tone for the genres I usually get called for, and I'm kinda sort looking at something to take it's place. But for dance/electro pop stuff it's great, especially paired with a little dirt and/or a filter. Super deep tone.
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I've used the OC-2/3 and the micro pog. While the pog tracks well, I simply prefer the sound and adjustability of the Line 6. IMO it is extremely annoying when an octaver mistracks, and bounces between octaves. The OC-2 seemed less adept at tracking lower notes than the OC-3, but I grew weary of having to be so careful with them, and still get that damn bounce.

From what I have gleaned here, digital octavers track better, but analog sound "better". Line 6 has the best of digital tracking but it's modeling an analog pedal. The best of both worlds.
  7. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

I've been using the Octaver in the Zoom MS-60B with great results. Sounds OC-2ish to my ears and has tone adjustments which helps. The M5 also tracks well as more of a pure octave, less synthy, more MXRish.