Octave pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pep, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Pep

Pep

I know there's an expert here on octave pedals. I've read several threads here but haven't seen an answer for my need.
    I'm looking for an octave pedal that I can use for a lower octave without using my dry signal.
    I need something with immediate and flawless tracking that will reproduce the lower end if a 5 string on a 4 string. I only need this for a handful of tunes.

Why? My group plays most of it's material back-to-back-to-back-to-back, so there is no time to switch basses.

I tried the BOSS OC-3 and was completely unimpressed. Perhaps I'm going to need something more sophisticated than just a simple pedal.

So please chime in and let me know if there is such a device, or if I'm going to need to do something else.
    Thanks!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EHX Pog and Micro Pog will do it, plus it does chords. So will the Digitech Whammy Pedal 5 and the upcoming Bass Whammy. Sounds a little electronic when you do it, but the tracking is flawless. Another more high end product you could try is the Eventide Pitchfactor, but the Micro Pog or Whammy pedals are more cost-effective.
  3. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

JimmyM is correct on all fronts. Except that as an H9 owner and a former Pitchfactor owner: the pog2/micropog can do chords. The eventide series cannot. Fifths are passable, but thirds are warbly and only usable of you're ok with synthy glitchy sounds. My roommate guitarist has a pog2 and it out tracks my h9.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jeez, all that fancy circuitry in the Pitchfactor and it won't do chords? Weird. Whoda thunk it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Different tools. The Pitchfactor might glitch more than a POG playing chords on the bass but its harmonization capabilities leave the POG in the dust....like waaaay in the dust.
  7. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Oh don't get me wrong, Pitch factor's powerful alright. A Swiss Army knife of pitch/delay/mod goodness. It does things that a pog could only dream of. Harpeggiator? Harmodulator? Micropitch? Get outta here pog.
  8. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

As stated above, the things it does do drastically out weigh what it can't. Love eventide products. I just get discouraged when people call them out for the inability to do something they never claimed to do in the first place.