Octave to go with distortion.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kazz3lrath, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

So, I use this distortion pedal when I play (MXR M-80).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M-80-Bass-Direct-Box-with-Distortion-101531051-i1124440.gc

I have been wanting to get an Octave pedal for a while to give me a fuller sound, but I'm not sure how good a distorted octave tone would sound. If I ran the bass through the octave pedal first, and then distorted it, would it sound good?

Also, any suggestions as far as octave pedals go? I was thinking maybe this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M288-Bass-Octave-Deluxe-Effects-Pedal-105346308-i1446534.gc
  2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Yes and yes. I run my bass octave deluxe into my bass fuzz deluxe and i thing it sounds great that way.
  3. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

Thank you! I was hoping that would work. I play an SG and am really looking for that fat, heavy sound.
  4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

I do that exact thing. OC-2 to Pork Loin. It sounds great.... There are lots of great sounding octave pedals. Try them out. I started with the Micro Pog and switched to the OC-2. They both sound great though. I've even used my Digitech BSW as an octaver. They all sound a little different.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

My MicroPOG into my EBS ValveDrive is so gnarly...
  7. gdavis

gdavis

Hmm, not to hijack the thread, but maybe I can ask this question here instead of starting a new one:

I'm looking for an octave to run into a bass big muff. I was leaning towards the the divided octave kit from byoc:
    http://www.buildyourownclone.com/dividedoctave.html

Sounds good in the demos but I haven't seen any demos with the same application I'm going for and I see a lot of suggestions for the OC-2 so I'm wondering if anyone could offer any insight to help me decide? Not to be cliche' but I'm kind of going for the sound in Muses Uprizing (ya, I read the Muse thread :oops:)
  8. JFOC

JFOC

I keep getting GAS for the Foxrox Octron, although the Earthquake Devices Organizer also seems pretty snazzy...
  9. gdavis

gdavis

I just looked at the m288 and that actually looks nice, especially having the two different sounds (girth and growl). An upper octave might have been nice but right now I don't see myself needing that.
  10. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

Oc-2.......best $50-$60 you'll ever spend.
  11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

The OC-2 only does 1 and 2 octaves down. The Micro Pog will give you that sweet octave up as well as the lower oct. So its a toss-up as to what you like, as both do well with distortion or reverb. IMO I think nothing beats the Micro Pog for tracking when you get a lil speedy. No lag at all. OC-2---? Users please inform.

Also, other than EH's Pog stuff---who else offers a clean octave up along with the octave down? No thread hijack intended And how does it (they?) sound distorted?
  12. sprag

sprag

Oc 2 has trouble trouble tracking the low E to about A and it warbles a bit if sustained. 1/4 to 16th notes are fine anything faster and my playing has the more noticeable lag:D. I really only use mine when i'm up the neck a bit though A string 10th fret or higher (just from preference).
  13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I hit my octave second. Personal preference.

I have 2. MXR and EBS. I prefer the MXR because it has more options. I can make it sound like the EBS very easily. And the MXR is cheaper.
  14. wabbit

wabbit

I actually run my octaver in parallel with my overdrive. My clean sound is divided and sent in one direction to the octaver and in the other direction to the overdrive. They are then summed after that. I think it sounds awesome that way but YMMV.
  15. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

+100
  16. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Me to +1
  17. gdavis

gdavis

Well I couldn't resist. Guitar Center had the m288 in stock so I went and picked one up (along with a couple other toys). I'm no octave aficionado (this is my first one) but I like it. It's kind of like two octave pedals in one. I think one of the video reviews said that the growl is like an OC-2 and the girth is like an EBS. You can blend in any amount of growl, girth and dry you want. The girth seems to track better in my setup but it's nice to have the two to play with.
  18. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

How do you do that? Sounds like something I'd like to try.
  19. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

A boss ls2 can do it or a blender of sorts.
  20. wabbit

wabbit

You might be better served by asking this guy ...

He might have a more practical solution than what I'm using. Personally I use the AxeFX II and using a computer, I can set up anything I can imagine as far as connections go. Here's an example from the Fractal Audio site. It's a screenshot of the editing software used to make patches.

[​IMG]

I really do recommend putting the octaver and distortion in parallel as it sounds awesome. In software, it's super simple, in reality, probably pretty simple too but I just don't know how. LOL!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  21. nillawaffa

nillawaffa

I run a pog2 into either a W&C TFR or W&C PPB right now. It sounds pretty good to me, but I've only played on about 5-10 different fuzz pedals. I'd really like to see what else is out there that sounds amazing with the pog2. I have a swell b-peg coming soon, so I'm exicted to see how that sounds with the pog2 as well.