Octave tracking 4 string Low G to E

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4Mal, Jan 22, 2013.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    And sometimes down tuned 1/2 step to Eb.

Currently trying the MXR Deluxe and i find it more glitchy that I'd like down low... Other wise i like it a lot. Should I learn to deal or is there something else out there I should try?

Been through the Boss 2&3 and those did not work for me

The Micro POG looks cool but I keep hearing about digital and that makes me think twice...

TIA!
  2. Skrogh

Skrogh

Are you sure you want an octaver, when playing down to Eb? Eb is about 40Hz, so the octaver would put this at ~20Hz.
    I got an OC-2 and can get it to track down to G and E with good technique and short notes; but it sounds like crap (actually quite literally).

Same goes for my line 6 m9; not the same as the POG, but still a digital octaver (and more).
  3. alec

alec

I don't know of an analogue octaver that will handle notes that low.

To aid the tracking, use the neck pickup and play close to the neck. The more overtones in your signal, the more the octaver will get confused.
  4. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

I just swapped out an OC2 for a Micro Pog. Still noodling around with it, but so far i like it. My Boss started tracking funny lately and a friend of mine sold me his Pog.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rebopmass

Rebopmass

Actually just noticed the same thing other nite. I find anywhere below c on the E string it sounds kinda garbled. But add a little chorus and play up on neck amd thing sound awesome. Kinda get a good Tony Levin sound. Plus i also use alot of compression with it. Im doing some recording this weekend. Jam session stuff ill post when i get a copy of it.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't know of an analogue octaver that will handle notes that low.

To aid the tracking, use the neck pickup and play close to the neck. The more overtones in your signal, the more the octaver will get confused.

Hmmm, I believe that on my basses I get more overtones on the neck pickup and by playing up by the neck. I seem to get better tracking doing the inverse of that...

By keeping the girth an growl low, the MXR seems pretty good down to G, I would actually be fine with it if there was a hi pass in it along with a little boost. Kinda like the dual band compressor concept. That way you could choose how low to go and cut out the glitchy range while compensating for the extra volume added above the cut off... That would be cool. I'm really looking for a clean 'studio' octave similar to the one on Sheryl Crow's 'All I Wanna Do' but in a live setting. And of course I want it to be compact and not require an engineer foe setup :)