1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

OD Pedal Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

What are your recommendations -- looking for a natural sounding OD with minimal tone suck. Low-end price range (Boss, DigiTech, Ibanez, etc.).

Tried the Boss but I'm unhappy with the fuzz buzz on the high end and how my signal is stripped of most mids. Am I asking too much in this price range?
  2. screaminglucy

screaminglucy Supporting Member

Try a blend pedal?

Try a red llama aka polish love. There is also a kit on generalguitargadgets for it.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

If you can be able to save a little more cash, the voodoo lab sparkle drive can deliver the sound you're looking for. if you don't mind multi-effects processors, zoom processors(b1, b1x, b2, b2.1u) has an overdrive model based on the Ibanez tube screamer and has a mix control that allow you to mix the dry signal of your bass sound with the effected signal from the Ibanez tube screamer model. hope this helps you out.
  4. Leroy0053

Leroy0053

look for a used M-80
  5. Lowbrow

Thanks for the leads - Sparkle Drive looks like something that might do it!
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

The Xotic Bass BB pre is a TB favorite. I've been using one for years and it's become a significant part of my sound.
  7. Myth_103

Myth_103

Boss ODB-3
  8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

SparkleDrive, Red Llama/Polish Love, Way Huge Pork Loin, Zeibek GeminiDrive, Barber LTD SR

not in any particular order, the OD's i'd go for first.
  9. Mikebass6

Mikebass6

The Digi lets you blend in as much of your original tone in there as you like. Plus the amount of drive is adjustable. Good for the price!
  10. phatbass

phatbass

How much OD do you want/need?

If you just want a subtle bit of dirt, my current fave for sounding sorta like an ol' tube amp being driven is the Cave Super Grunt.

They're passive pedals (no battery or power supply!) made here in Australia. No volume drop (on my Super Grunt, anyway) and the best thing, for me, is that once I have it dialed in for a particular Bass it'll sound clean-ish when I play with a lighter touch, and dirty up nicely when I dig in.

I leave it on pretty well permanently when I do my classic/improv Blues-Rock gig. It gives an imperceptible bit of drive, just adding a bit of fatness to the sound, when I play normally and when I really work the strings it turns to a Jack Bruce/Felix Pappalardi type mild overdrive.

http://www.cavepassivepedals.com.au/index.html
  11. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Start cheap and work up if you're not satisfied. I'd recommend beginning with the Digitech Bad Monkey.

-JV
  12. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Digitech Bad Monkey is good for the price and fairly versatile. They are easy to find.
  13. Headless Llama

Headless Llama

buy the most expensive pedal you can find. Those are the best.
  14. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

lol can i quote you in my sig?
  15. Headless Llama

Headless Llama

yes you may! I am flattered.
  16. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

I just did a thread on this and got pointed toward the Xotic Bass BB Preamp. From the YouTube of Bryan Tyler and some other reviews, it looks pretty good.

s.
  17. Lowbrow

Both SFT and BB get high marks here and and sound great in the youtube demos I've found. The kind of application I'm after is an always-on hot and happy tube amp vibe.

Tonight I had the chance to try my guitar player's Tube Screamer - sounded great on the just driving OD end, but could have benefited from more bass. What I'm going to try is the Sparkle Drive, which has been described as having the TS OD circuit, dial in some clean signal with Sparkle Drive's blend, and run into my existing VT Bass to get the SFT tubeness.
  18. Wordbell

Wordbell

Longtime lurker, first time poster here :D

Based on the fact that you like the TS, have you tried a TS9DX? I use it on my bass and really like it. The modes help the low end loss. You can pick one up used for a decent price. I've also used my guitar players' Keeley modded Boss BD-2. It sounded good too.
  19. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Bad Monkey is also TS based and has a ton more bottom end...just sayin'.....sounds like just what you want for $100 cheaper... (been wanting to try a sparkle drive for a while though, myself...)

-JV
  20. madmatt

madmatt

I have a Hartke 2500 head, a Hartke 2.5XL cab and a VT pedal.
    That VT pedal sound tremendous going through that 2.5XL. It is like rumbly overdrive.