1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

od poll

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hardikbhatia94, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hardikbhatia94

hardikbhatia94

looking for a crunchy overdrive sound. which among the following would you suggest

digitech bad monkey
    digitech cm-2
    boss odb-3
    digitech bass driver
    behringer bdi21

these are the ones available at my local store and before i try any of them i need to know what you guys think.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Everybody has a different idea of what "crunchy" means and what an OD should sound like. Plus, it depends on your amp and speaker cab--for example the Boss ODB3 is generally considered brilliant going into a tube amp and a tweeterless cab, but horrible going into a clean solid-state amp and a high-fidelity speaker.

So if you post Youtube or other links to bands with the sound you want to hear, and if you specify what amp and cab you're using, then people can make a good recommendation for you.
  3. hardikbhatia94

hardikbhatia94

i guess something sounding like rex brown from pantera. (though he has never disclosed what pedal he uses for od). im certain i dont want fuzz or extreme distortion
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

5. hardikbhatia94

hardikbhatia94

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

His whole rig and playing have to be accountable for that, but maybe the Hematoma OD plays a big part in his sound ?
  7. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Are you using the same bass and amp as Rex?
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

That's exactly what you DON'T need. Why would you want a bunch of strangers on the internet to skew your perceptions before you've even had a chance to try them?
  9. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Everyone seems to raving about the Joyo.
  11. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Gotta agree here. If you have the opportunity to try those - try those first without other people's opinions clouding your own. If none of them fit quite right, come back here with your findings and opinions on what you liked / didn't like, and we can help point you in a direction of some pedals that might work that you aren't able to try in person.

If those pedals don't meet up with what you're looking for, consider the Source Audio OFD. A little pricier than the other options, but a huge range of versatility there - you'll be sure to find a few sounds you like!
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Nothing beats listening to the pedals yourself.

Distortion characteristics are so much a matter of taste and depends so much on the rest of your gear that it is really difficult to recommend something. People can tell you what they like but that is no garantee that you will too.
  13. jking138

jking138

In the manual for the MXR M80 it does state Rex's settings for the drive in the back.
    Obviously this doesn't mean they are correct, or used on every song, or that he didn't use the hematoma, but it is a very flexible pedal.
    Try them out for yourself, but to get his sound you need his gear, pedals can sound completely different with different basses, amps, picks, etc.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

From your list, the Hardwire CM-2 is in another league. The rest, quite honestly, are crap.
  15. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

+1
  16. Zorth41

Zorth41

Ts9dx is a very versitile od pedal i use mine for both bass and guitar
    The thing has 4 modes:
    Ts9 : classis ts9 fuzzy and bright, drive knob cuts low

Plus: similar to ts9 but less to almost no low cut

Hot: less fuzzy and more overblown tube gain sounding higher output than the previous two

Turbo: the highest output of all, lots of bass in this one guys.
  17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

18. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I own the Hardwire Tube OD, and I like it. Its definitely a very mid-forward tubescreamer variant, but it's my favorite of all the ones I've tried.
    That being said, if a mid-heavy Tubescreamer variant isn't what you're looking for, you probably won't be happy with it. There are so many pedals out there with so many different flavors of dirt, you owe it to yourself to check out as many as you can. Here's a great resource for reading about and hearing a ton of different OD's: http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Overdrive-Pedals.html
  19. taurus1

taurus1

bedroom players that don't play in a band usually don't like the ODB-3 because it can sound harsh playing by yourself at low volumes.
    when you play in a band at higher volumes and compete with a loud guitarist or two, it can sound great, that harshness goes away and it cuts through a mix really well.
    softer, tubescreamer based, smooth, warm, friendly, mid humped, pedals can get lost in a mix and cut some bottom end to boot.
    if you're a stay home player, the CM-2 mike work better, if you're in a loud band and want "crunch", LOTS of bottom end and you want to cut through a wall of guitars, you might like the ODB-3 better.
  20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I didn't care for the ODB-3 either with a live band or at home. for me, its top end is harsh, fizzy and obnoxious. I also think that it should've been called a distortion rather than an overdrive since it doesn't really do overdrive. I modded the heck out of mine and I like it ALOT better now, but I personally wouldn't recommend a stock one. JMHO and YMMV.