Odd-Ball Fenders - Poste'em if you've got'em

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have said it before, "I am a glutton for odd-ball basses". The limited run, "off the beaten track" models that have come and gone over the years.

Examples are "Precision Lyte", "Precision Extreme", etc.

Would love to see a post with all the lesser known Fender offerings over the years.....:bassist:
  2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Owned this MB-5 once:

[​IMG]

Didn't have the greatest sustain, but it was a really nice little bass.
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Last year I picked up a grubby looking Fender HM bass for relatively short dough. A little cleaning and polishing, and it ended up looking like it was brand new. It has an odd, marbled finished like the bass below, but in olive green rather than red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

What did the "HM" stand for?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Heartfield Model, I believe.
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1 on that.

Some say "heavy metal", but I see no heavy metal styling at all in the HM bass line.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

My first Jazz Bass and what has led me to become a nearly-completely bolt-on player was my 1992 Fender Jazz Plus V 5-string. Alder body, Maple Neck & Pau Ferro fretboard, and a "downsized" version of Philip Kubucki's preamp for his "Factor" Basses (4 Modes as opposed to 7... Active, Active with Mid Boost, Passive and Standby... aka "Off" :smug: ) I bought it in near-mint condition in 2002 right before the Used Prices for them jumped up several hundred dollars, and kept (and learned) from it for several years before selling it around 2007-8 (?) - while a great bass in many ways, its B-string was underwhelming from the D downward... I've heard and believe that most non-boutique/production line 5 & 6-strings didn't truly have Bs equal to the rest of the strings until the late '90s-early '00s.

[​IMG]

(My Bass, but not my Truck... ;) )

I also just purchased a 2005 Jazz 24 4-string two weeks ago from Bass Northwest, as it fits my criteria for the "base" of why I've termed my "Efx Bass" for several years. I'll be installing a Kahler Tremolo as well as a Bass Sustainiac, which when used on clean bass sounds slightly distorted, almost the way a bowed upright does... and when you add distortion and other effects to it, lead playing as well as certain techniques such as two-hand tapping become a completely new and interesting thing. I only know of one other person who came up with the same concept independently, and he does amazingly cool things with his!

[​IMG]

(Not my *exact* Bass, but soon it won't look anything like the stock pictures... :hyper: )
  9. DanNowhere

DanNowhere

would a Coronado II count?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Great topic.
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah! I think that Coranado II kinda fits the criteria.
  12. dasbusking

dasbusking

I play MB-5 fender great bass 7 lbs and a sweet neck, it's my only 5er and my go-to bass when my back starts to act up.

Attached Files:

13. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Ahhhhhhh. Reading glasses and a pretty little girl who is fascinated by music toys. I'm that guy too.

Nice bass.
  14. dasbusking

dasbusking

It's good to know I am not alone.... By the way and back on topic little 7 year old Dana in the pic is gassing for a Fender oddball, a P bass Jr. If I find one I will have to buy it....lol
  15. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Roscoe Beck IV.
    Recently discontinued, but a really great bass. Extremely versatile tone-wise, and the asymetrical neck profile is cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. msaone

msaone

The bridge and knobs are the same as on my power jazz bass special. That bass must be from around 89.
  17. duff2

duff2 Supporting Member

Fender Performer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is not mine. It caught my eye a few days ago when I was browsing a local classified ad site.

Seller wants $1200 for it. :eek:

Duff2
  18. Darren Low

Darren Low

Really cool thread.
  19. Transistor Bass

Transistor Bass

Here's my Lyte. Bought it new in 1995. Still my No.1
    [​IMG]
  20. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

Here is my Fender USA JP90, recently back from a custom paint job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  21. Daniel L

Daniel L

I know this is a Squier, not a Fender, but I recon it deserves a place here, one of the more "extreme" Fender designs, MIJ, only made between 85 and 86 I believe

[​IMG]