1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Odd gig tonight want TB opinions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by turbo chicken, Nov 3, 2012.

1. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

mods... wasn't sure where to post this so Misc is where it ended up ... if you think it fits band management better please feel free to move.

There is a festival happening in the town our band is based.
    http://carrolltonfestival.com/index.html

going off of last years pictures... this place is going to be friggin packed.

We play the American Legion Hall every single month. They insisted that we play this weekend during this festival. Even though there is some pretty decent live music happening literally 100 yards from the hall. for this festival.

To Clarify!!! We are playing inside the Legion Hall not on the super awesome stage outside.

I'm not sure what to think... but we never turn down a paying gig... and i could use the cash.

I'm going to go play my ass off regardless.

This situation just has me feeling uneasy and weird .... since they want us to play as the main stage starts really cranking up.

just wanted to know what talkbass thought of the situation.

i think were going to end up playing to an empty room.

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

That's the key, right there. Everything else will take care of itself.

It sounds like an odd situation, to be sure, but you never know, you might still get a good turnout. You may even end up drawing more than usual if people outside get drawn in.

You got anybody that can hand out flyers outside the hall? It's a chance for some good exposure.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Weird... I don't know, man.

4. electracoyote

electracoyote

Maybe, but what's done is done. You're committed to the Legion, so you're right to go in with a good attitude and do your best.

I take it the Legion is a monthly PAYING gig? Best to take care of that and hope future festivals don't cause a conflict.

You don't mention if the festival is a paying gig. It would surely have more exposure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it any. Like you summed it up best with, " I'm going to go play my ass off regardless." Weird stuff happens, you rock out anyhow.

7. sobie18

sobie18

Do the gig and give us a full report later, complete with chix pix....

8. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

:D Just give it your all!

9. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

This was discussed when we were loading in a few hours ago. We have posters around the square in our normal monthly fashion though.

i agree:meh:

Heck yeah... we'd do anything for those guys. Yes we are compensated. Since this is our home town we usually hit up steak night every month as well. The legion is where i choose to hang if given a choice.

We aren't part of the festival... we are part of what the legion has planned within their walls. They scheduled us knowing this was going on literally down the street... i think they are just trying to maximize the foot traffic thru the place so the can sell their barbeque and beer.

We have already discussed as a band a few months ago... to make sure we put ourselves out there for the 2013 festival that is put on... but that was way before this went down.

10. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

Hellz yeah...

thanks for the reminder... camera and batteries just put in the backpack ... just have to remember to take pictures.

no matter what... of course... why play otherwise :bassist::bassist:

peace dudes im going to head back down there for sound check... love that this place is 3 miles from the house.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Well, as far as YOU'RE concerned, you're getting paid to play the Legion, so do your job.

As far as the Legion is concerned, it seems like an odd call on their part. But it looks like this festival is a recurring event, so they probably have experienced it before. Maybe they find that they get spillover from the festival and like it that way, who knows?

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

So how was the gig?

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Will you be paid the same if the room is empty? If so, Id carry on.

14. krstko

krstko

I've been in a situation like this .. our band named it ''open rehearsal'' xD

15. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

The gig kicked butt... when lifehouse hit the stage the place emptied tho.

Band agreed it was one of if not the best couple of sets we have ever played. I'm going to attribute it to the fact that there was less "partying" going on ... we were more serious and did our best to be "pro". It made a big difference!

Pictures are on my camera... gave it to our sound guy... lots of foot traffic people buying a beer. sitting for a song or two... then back out the door.

We had a bar manager take away a press kit giving us compliments saying she liked the diversity in our set and we'd be a perfect fit she came in during the first set and ended up staying. There were a few of those actually.

Also booked a private party for Dec 13th :D ...

so... awesome gig!!! ...

16. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

You may find that the Legionaires don't want to mess with the crowd and the festival and would rather hang out at their own Hall and enjoy your music.

Go give them a good show.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!