1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Odd recording setup sounded better than I expected...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by trjh2k2, Mar 3, 2014.

1. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

I'm using a Sansamp RBI into a Crown XLS power amp for my live setup and usually use the Sansamp to record with as well- but I recently had to record a few tracks without my usual bass stuff available.

So what I ended up doing was using my guitar setup instead: a Traynor ycs50h with as clean a sound as I could get, through an h&k 4x12 with a mic in front like I would for guitar.

The trick is that I also wanted to get a direct-ish sound as well as the mic, so I used the effects send and ran it right into the interface I was using-

I don't know what kind of magic was happening, but the signal I got from the effects send from the guitar amp was great.

I'm tempted to use the guitar head as a preamp next time I jam with the band- hook the effects send into the Crown amp instead of using the samsamp and see if it's as good.

This makes me wonder if maybe I'd be better off using a tube guitar pre instead of the sansamp?

Sample:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014