1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Odd sound when I slap.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bodom85, Sep 22, 2013.

1. bodom85

bodom85

when I try to slap I get more than just the "normal" sound. I get a metallic twang. It sounds like the string is hitting metal or something. After watching A ton of videos, I feel that I'm slapping right. I think it may be in the setup.

I'm new when it comes to playing bass and bass setup. I recently got a warwick corvette std 5 string bass. It wasn't played in over a year and the strings were terrible. I went to my local GC and asked what strings were best for playing a variety of music and he suggest ernie ball reg. slinky. I watched watched the warwick videos on how to do setups and feel it went well. Strings were matching the fret board radius, I can fit a business card nicely through the first fret on the b and g strings. I did go with a 3mm and 2.5mm height rather than the suggested 2.5/2. I don't hear fret buzzing or anything when I play normal (unless I hit the fret wrong).
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Those Ernie Ball strings are pretty metallic sounding when they're brand new. They may need to break in a bit. I don't use the regular slinky, but rather the Hybrid Slinky (orange pack), and those aren't too bright out of the pack. Also, check where you're hitting the string with your right hand (thumps and pulls). If you're on the fretboard, you might be creating extra noise.
  3. bodom85

bodom85

Cool, thanks. I didn't know strings would cause it. The old strings slapped pretty well so they would explain it. I'll remember the hybrids for my next round of strings.
  4. Precision101

Precision101

If your into that slap sound and a nice metallic attack against the frets then try d addario nickels or roto sounds. And also check your action when you restring. fret buzz is caused by that if it's too low.