1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Odd Truss Rod/Neck Problem: any ideas please?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Doctor Hugocat, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

The other day a singer I work with gave me an old Martin Stinger bass he's had in his apartment for years and years. It needs a few bits and pieces like a jack plate, so I thought I'd have some fun with it: strip the body, drop in a set of inexpensive pickups etc.....

The thing is, that there's an odd issue with the neck and truss rod. The neck is dead straight, measured with a straight edge: no relief, no back bow. If I turn the truss rod anti-clockwise, the neck stays still and the truss rod goes 'floppy' and loose: if I turn it clockwise it goes tight immediately and won't turn.

I've set up a bunch of guitars in the past but not had this issue: can anyone help? I like the neck, so it would be a shame to waste it. Thanks!:bassist:
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The neck may have developed a slight back bow, it can happen if it stays unstrung too long. This can be fixed by mounting a very heavy jauge for a while or even if you're not easily frightened, by the neck on blocks and suspending a heavy weight at the 12th fret. I did it before on a cheapo, it worked. I even let the neck rest in a tub overnight to make sure it would quickly move.

Another possibility would be that the trussrod is stuck in thightened position. When you unscrew only the nut moves but the rod stays under tension. This would be harder to fix, injecting lubricant inside and yanking the rod could work but I have no real life experience about this.
  3. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Thanks Jazz Ad, I'll try the weight trick! As I say, I like the neck and it's supposed to be a fun project, so I'll try something new. :D
  4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Good advice above.

Stripping and "having fun":

Unless there is less than twenty five percent of the original finish on the instrument, please leave it alone. Even then, leave it alone. While it will (probably) never achieve the value of a '57 Precision, it has a certain value in the vintage market today. Somewhere, someone who fell in love with it in high school is looking for that instrument. Decreasing the supply by one would be a shame.
  5. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Thanks for the thoughts, 202dy.....I appreciate your perspective: my hobby is classic cars and I always feel sad when a good original car is modded and the originality taken away. I'm not sure what I'll do with the Stinger: it's really in pretty poor shape except for the neck, which is oddly perfect (apart from the bow). I intend to leave the neck alone, whatever I do to the body. We'll see. First I'm gonna find out if I can save the neck!