1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

off center strap pin placement for better FB angle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Feb 7, 2014.

1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

Disclosures:
    MTD kingston international emerging artist
    so i was just sitting with this cort A6, i haven't played too many 6 string basses (maybe three or four in total) but i have never faced this problem to this extent!
    The issue is i can't ever seem to "see" the strings/frets on the board as the bass is always exactly vertical to the ground.
    See - (taken from another TB thread)
    [​IMG]

now my bass sits like figure 2 on the right side which is straight vertical to the ground and i want it at a slight ANGLE to my body like figure 1 on the left!

i realized moving the strap button up "towards the B string" from the center should help with this! then i realized all spector basses are like this!

the question is, how many inches should i move it by?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

why did I not face this with the fender style basses? including the SX 6 string jazz bass!
    Having the pin slightly up make perfect sense on this bass! maybe even having two pins and lock them both if needed! Do other basses like the spectors have this off center strap pin for this very reason? does the body shape/contouring determine where the strap pin should be placed? thoughts!?

2. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

Disclosures:
  3. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

Disclosures:
    A little help here please!?

4. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

I have done that, to combat neck dive.