1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Offal / "organ meat"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassybill, Jan 18, 2014.

1. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Who likes it? I'm a big fan of various dishes using kidneys, liver, heart, tripe or chitlins. I'm not so keen on brains, sweetbreads or trotters.

Share your recipes.
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Loves me some haggis #cliche
  3. bassybill

Yep. A good haggis is terrific. Haven't had any for a while, must get us some soon.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Love it all. Especially sweetbreads. What don't you like about it?

Can't share any recipes as I don't cook, but Argentinian steakhouses make the best offal, here in NY, IMO.
  5. bassybill

Last time I had sweetbreads, it was more the texture that I wasn't keen on, rather than the flavour.

There's an Argentinian steakhouse here in my own, I'll check their menu and maybe pay them a visit - thanks. I've never had anything but steak in such places before.
  6. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict Supporting Member

Simple Italian dish that I ate every Sunday while growing up.

Take equal parts sweetbreads, Italian sausage, onions, potatoes and green peppers. Fry in an iron skillet with a bit of butter until well browned. Add a bit of salt & pepper, and enjoy.
  7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Chitlins? What the heck are they? Actually, I'm not sure I want to know!
  8. bassybill

Chitlins = chitterlings = intestines.

Beautiful when fried up crispy.
  9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Is there an emoticon for a dry heave? :)
  10. dullsilver_mike

dullsilver_mike Supporting Member

I haven't been exposed to too many of these, but liver is pretty high up on my list of favorite foods. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but fried or boiled chicken gizzards are incredibly popular in my part of the midwest and chicken hearts are great prepared the same way. Any bar and grill you walk into in these parts will have gizzards on the menu.
  11. SidMau

SidMau

I remember having duck heart at Craft restaurant in New York that I quite enjoyed
  12. 3234718

If they have a mixed grill dish, try that. At the place I go to here, it's skirt steak, short ribs, blood sausage, sweetbread, tripe, and one or two other things I can't recall. Argentinians know how to cook meat. The sweetbread is always tender and delicious. Never gristly or stringy.
  13. 3234718

If you tried some not knowing what it is, you'd love it. Fried porky goodness. Granted, a pigs fecal matter passed through it, but properly cleaned, it's good stuff.
  14. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Boudin is amazing - it's got stuff like pig heart, liver, and God knows what else. It's delicious though!

I want to try haggis in Scotland someday - US Haggis doesn't have offal (by law).
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If you're ever in the western states make sure to try the Rocky Mountain Oysters.
  16. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

You'll need to excuse me while I go throw up in my mouth a little.
  17. Rob22315

Rob22315

Count me out too!
  18. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday Supporting Member

I've never had Rocky Mountain Oysters, but Sheep Fries are very tasty. Nothing says "I'm comfortable with my sexuality" more than chowing down on a big plate of testes.
  19. 3234718

I can understand how people might be grossed out by eating fried bull testicles, but again, if you didn't know what it was and just tried it, anyone with a properly functional tongue would find them delicious. You can fry anything and it's good.

It seems a little silly to me to be perfectly comfortable eating beef top round (ass meat) and be weirded out by eating bull nuts.
  20. dullsilver_mike

dullsilver_mike Supporting Member

I think organ meat is especially good for frying--if you add a ton of batter, seasoned flour, or whatever other coating to most foods you run the risk of overpowering the flavor of the food itself. Organ meat usually has such a pronounced flavor that it shines through the frying. You might lose some of the overtones, but that fundamental taste is going to shine through.