1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Offered a trade on my 8 space rack.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

This is a what would you do post.

While at a studio rehearsal the owner asked me if I wanted to trade 8 space racks. Mine is an SKB plastic deal much like this one at this link but mine must be an older version it's front opening is rimmed with Aluminum.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CJ3QuKaIj7wCFStgMgodrnoAwA

The guy wants to trade me for an 8 space Air line flight approved case much like this one but the one I am looking at trading has a couple extra handle on it or something. It looks slightly more beefy then but a lot like this one here,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E30421917867

You are all probably asking what I am waiting for. Well the added weight of the case for trade is the issue. Currently my full rack weighs 70 lbs. The case itself is not very heavy at all. The flight case version is probably 25 to 30 Lbs empty.

Throw wheels on it you say. The problem is I have a elevated porch with a 5 step stair case. So wheels won't help me there and I think it might be just enough weight I won't be able to get it in the house myself.

But I am being offered a trade straight across for a case in as good or better shape then what I have, it must be a 300 to 400 dollar case.

:help:

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Do you want another case/have any issues which cause you to want to move from your SKB?

I guess you could always make the trade and sell the flight case? Put the money towards picking up a couple 4U cases, or a 2U and a 6U (depending on weight distributions or if you have a "basic rig" you'd use separately).

The biggest issue I can see is that 8U is getting pretty bulky, though clearly not that much of an issue at the moment if you get by ok with the SKB.

If it was me, I'd go with it and see how you get on, it isn't that much extra weight (heck, my amp without it's case is about 90 lbs :p ).

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I'm quite perplexed.

Someone actually wants a SKB case?

For something else than a low budget Sci-Fi film prop.

Granted, Yours is probably the one that still had "real" rack rails that accept regular rack nuts, but still...

I got rid of mine in the late 90's and have never looked back.
    To me they're like the polycarbonate and ABS helmets, after a crash the helmet is in perfect shape.
    The head that was inside OTOH...

Do the trade, that's my advice.
    If the weight bothers You, there's always hand carts.

Regards
    Sam

4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I viewed it with suspicion myself. Could be a trap like if I do it I'll owe him and he'll ask me to hide some bodies! :eek:

It seems that my SKB will just be a better fit for his recording studio.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want to lug around that extra weight.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it. SKB racks are great for a working musician. They're light, they hold up and are both sturdy and protective (including a rubber gasket to seal the lids. Don't do it.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Same here. Keep your case.

9. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

I am not a working musician (hobby player) but I've had my SKB 6 space rack since the early nineties. Mine has the aluminum and rubber seal lid thingies. The only thing I'd consider replacing it with would be a 4 space of the same type which I would have to buy used. I can't seem to get from 5 rack spaces down to 4. I'm convinced the aluminum rings add to the strength of the case and the lids. I'm not impressed with the current SKB racks.

10. Unprofessional

On a related topic, I've suggested to the mods that racks and rack issues need their own forum. The mods disagreed.

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Been using SKB rack cases like this, from a 2 space to a 12 space, since the late 80's.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKB192U/

In all that time I've had 2 cases broken/destroyed through (extreme) stupidity and/or (extreme) rough handling, but the contents within came through in perfect working order.

I've also had some Anvil cases and one thing to keep in mind about Anvil and their clones, those square corners, even with the little ball things nailed on, still catch crap instead of sliding on by. Push an Anvil case across carpet? forget it, an SKB rack case? No problem. And the weight difference is a major factor to those who must schlep them.

I've also been using a Fender badged SKB case for one of my basses for about as long and it has been to the moon and beyond and has experienced stuff that would have annihilated one of those cool tweedy looking cases and it's still going strong. I've had to tighten up the latches and glue the little straps that keep the top from flopping over back in a couple times, but otherwise it still keeps my little US J Plus bass snug and safe.

12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

If you want bulletproof, Hardigg is what you want.

For Instance:
    http://www.cases2go.com/catpages/338.asp_Q_id_E_338

Their 'light-duty' specification is for stuff in the 100-lb range and 80-100 g's impact. They have many weight/price/availability options. Most of their stuff has integral shockmounts - I doubt many MI racks incorporate that. They do have non-shockmount options (e.g. ProRack) that are a _lot_ (like half...) lighter and cheaper.

I have no connection with Hardigg except as a satisfied customer... It was not my money I was spending, so it was easy to specify the best ;-) ...

13. BurningSkies

They still make the old style racks. They're not identical, but about 95% as close. The x-rack pictured above is a different series. I have one of those too, and they're pretty crappy. I've bought other new 'standard' SKB racks recently too.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

My older SKB rack cases have the aluminum valance welded together and the newer ones have a short strap connecting the two ends and riveted in place. The newer versions do have better handles though, but full disclosure, I've never had an SKB rack case handle fail so saying they are different (as opposed to better) on the newer cases might be more accurate.

15. prd004

prd004

SKB stands behind their lifetime warranty, I had a 15 year old rack and they put new latches on it for free!

16. pflash4001

pflash4001

I've had several SKB cases, and to be honest with you, for the way I use my gear (local club gigs and festivals and stuff) it holds up excellently. I have a first generation SKB GigRig that I love. I have my Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro racked on top, Furman Power strip, a Lexicon F/X rack, an Aphex Aural Exciter and 4 Samson S*com 4 Compressors. Everything stays wired up. Just show up at the gig, pop the lids off plug in power, lead out to amp rack, and plug in the snake. Very quick setups. I also have several regular racks. I like the old style SKB racks best. I have a couple of X-series rotomolded ones, a 4 space that my GK 1001RB lives in and a 4 space with wheels I just got recently off ebay for $40 for some misc. gear. I've also got several SKB guitar and bass cases. I've only had a problem with one case. It was an SKB built Ibanez branded case that came with one of my basses. It crapped out on me within about 2 years of purchase...cracked plastic, broken latches, warped plastic, etc. I haven't done much with it because it was branded Ibanez, but the butterfly latches were engraved SKB, so I need to see if their million mile warranty applies to that as well. That being said, I like their products. The weight/protection factor seems good and I've heard good things about their customer service. Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM GATOR LOOK-ALIKE CASES!!!! I've had some experience with these, luckily on someone else's dollar who didn't listen when they were warned. They always say, well, they look just like the SKB's but they're a lot cheaper...They're junk. The hardware sucks, the plastic is either brittle or warps quickly, and just isnt' worth the headaches. A school I taught at asked me to put together a PA system for pep rallies. They bought Gator cases...because they were cheaper. That gear went from a storage room on one side of the gym to the other end of the gym and back a few times a year. The latches were trashed, the covers didn't fit properly, handles were broken within 2 school years...and I know they weren't abused because I would supervise the kids myself. Gator is the Behringer of case manufacturers in my experience.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

You know what to do. Ragequit and start your own website, TalkBassRacksandRackIssues.com.

-Mike

18. BurningSkies

Too long.

I predict a future in a site called TalkRack.com

19. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    This could have the added benefit of plenty o' boobs!

20. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I'm still procrastinating on this trade. My gut says don't do it. The Bargain hunter says do it.

21. Unprofessional

I think I've already been to that site a few times.

OK, several times.

OK, a bunch of times.