1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Official" Carvin Club - Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

2. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Whoo Hoo! Part 2!

Show what you got!

My babies...

[​IMG]

And the man himself playing one of mine! Well, technically it's his model, but it's my bass! :D

[​IMG]
  3. Definitely

Definitely

week and a half...........just a week and a half
  4. KingRazor

KingRazor

Hey Carvin fans, I have a question for you guys:

How would you describe the tone of the Icon basses with the soapbar pickups?

I've listened to some clips on youtube and it sounds like it has a lot of growl. Would you agree?
  5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Round 2, I'm in:

[​IMG]
    2011 SB4000

[​IMG]
    2004 LB70

[​IMG]
    1992 LB70
  6. Grateful

Sweet, sweet basses! How would you compare the SB500 an the LB's in terms of feel and playability? Not so much tone, just feel.
  7. SansGroove

SansGroove

I am totally gearing up to buy a Carvin bass. Problem I am having is with all the options it's so easy to keep changing your mind. However I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to a b40 in satin trans blue or satin pearl blue with chrome hardware, active electronics, j99's maple neck and board and a sb headstock (not painted). With so many good reviews for a bass that will come in shy of 1k how can I go wrong. I really wish I could get the radiused j99 soap bars like come on the Bromberg but don't think it's possible on the B40.

Its Interesting to me when I first saw the sb bass and headstock I HATED the looks of both. Now I think the sb headstock and bass look so great. Same thing with the Bromberg bass... Reminded me of a Danelectro longhorn bass and was shocked at the look of it. Now I am quite diggin' it. The headstock with need to grow on me some more though.
  8. Grateful

Call the factory. They are insanely nice people to deal with and it is amazing what they can do. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get the radiused J's in the B40, and even the Bromberg pre if you wanted. Just because it isn't an option on the website doesn't mean they can't do it. The website does not offer ALL the possibilities....
  9. WoodyG3

My LB70s are lighter, and the necks are thinner front to back. The neck on the 1992 is really thin, and not quite as wide at the nut. All three balance perfectly, have great fretwork and play great. All in all, the 2004 LB70 is the most comfortable bass I've ever played. For me, I'd like a slightly thinner neck on the SB, and I wish it was a pound lighter. Still, if the SB was the only bass I owned, I would be quite happy, and it is more comfortable to play than most basses I've owned.
  10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I generally dislike the term "growl" as it seems to mean different things to different people. However, the bass has a VERY usable EQ section and I got a that "burp" sound out of it similar to a Smith when I had mine. It was a 4 string and that's why I got rid of it. :meh:
  11. KingRazor

KingRazor

I really don't know how to describe it other than "growl" or "snarl".

How would you describe the overall tone?

I know it has an onboard EQ, which would affect the tone. But as I've said before "You can EQ a P bass all you want, it still sounds like a P bass".
  12. Addlepate

Addlepate Supporting Member

Pics for new thread...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. WoodyG3

I find the soapbars to be "modern" sounding and very smooth. I had a Carvin bass with soapbars and, for me, it was a little too "polite" for my tastes. Part of that is likely my playing style, and of course this is all personal taste.

For growl and snarl, I'd say the J99 pickups are the way to go. Again, though, that's just one man's opinion. Hopefully others will chime in. :)
  14. WoodyG3

Addlepate, is that a rosewood fretboard? The flame is sweet on that body!
  15. Definitely

Definitely

that's a beaut, now you've got me wishing I had some of those options on mine
  16. KingRazor

KingRazor

If the J99s have more growl, I'll stay away from them. I don't like growl.

I found the tone of this 6-string Icon bass to be very "growly": ICON 6 Bass overview - YouTube

It sounds very "rough" and "raw". Do you think that bass sounds very much like the Icon basses you guys have tried?

This sounds a little better, IMO, but still not a very "smooth" tone, still kind of "edgy" and "raw":
  17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Growl can be EQed out. I had soapbars in my Icon and switched to J99As because I like the J sound. I didn't have a growly sound with either. The soapbars seem pretty clean and modern to me. The J99As can be growly if you want, but don't have to be.
  18. TMart99

TMart99

How do you EQ out the growl?
  19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Growl is in the mids. Cut the mids. Experiment to find the right frequencies.
  20. Addlepate

Addlepate Supporting Member

Yes, Rosewood board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.