1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Official Cigar Box Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mc900ftj, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Haven't seen a "club" for us owners of cigar box basses...so here goes!

Post a photo of yours and I'll register you!

Here's mine....

[​IMG]

-------------------
    #1 - mc900ftj

2. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

If you plug your electric instruments directly into a 110 volt outlet, you're doing it wrong.

3. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Depends on the effect you're going for. ;)

4. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Here's mine. Paid for the whole thing with pocket change. Built with Chinese wholesale hardware and P pup. Frets are made out of nail gun nails glued in the (somewhat) correct fret spots. It's more of a conversation piece then anything. I have played it live though.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

What are those strings?

7. Hues

Hues

8. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest

9. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Members:

#2 - zackthompson
    #1 - mc900ftj

10. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Various guages of weed trimmer line. The weed trimmer line, piezo pickups and fretless-ness give it a thumpy, upright bass sound.

11. EoganDubh

EoganDubh Supporting Member

Attached Files:

12. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Members:

#3 - EoganDubh
    #2 - zackthompson
    #1 - mc900ftj

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I've been wanting to make one for quite a while. In my junk parts I have an old DIY bass kit neck, tuners, cheap P-bass pickups, bridges, pots, etc. I mocked one up the other day and the scale isn't 34'' without having an extension. I would like to have the bridge positioned at the edge of the box rather than hanging out in space. Should I just not worry about scale lenght and rock it?

Also, even though I could make a (3) P bass pickup bass if I wanted I am considering using a piezo (s) without any controls. Would the piezo setup have any low end to it?

14. JustForSport

JustForSport

You'll most likely need a buffer/preamp for the piezo, and I'm pretty sure the ones made for basses are designed for the different frequency spread of a bass as opposed to guitar. There are some DIY buffer/preamps mentioned in other threads, and used Fishman controls can be found sometimes.

This thread has me looking at a couple of large cigar boxes I have, and all the parts I need to do something constructive with...

15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Since I have the electronics I'll just stick a P pickup in it. I haven't had time to try it, but I am going to try using the bridge (with saddles and screws removed) as a tail piece mounted on the end of the cigar box (the short side) with a wooden bridge.