1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Official EHX POG2 Settings Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Apr 3, 2014.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Hey all. I searched this out when I first got my POG2 last month and the only thread I found was this one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/pog2-settings-737355/

Which seemed to have only led people back to the EHX site and then sputtered out leaving no really good settings to experiment with. So I felt the need to provide a thread for those of us whom have the POG2 and would like to share settings. Heck, I just want to see what some of you are doing with yours. These pedals ranges and possibilities are friggen ENDLESS! So what say you guys, go ahead and start the POG2 settings thread!! Thanks for your participation. I will post some of mine later if I can remember what they were exactly. That is the hard part about the POG2, you do have to write them down or you will forget the way the preset was set otherwise. Im still VERY happy with this pedal regardless.

2. gregmon79

NOBODY?!?! Come fellas, I know there are a lot of you out there that have this pedal. Share some settin's?? I have to get some of my own up here as a matter of fact.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

I use to own one before I moved on to a HOG (POG2,Freeze,Wah,Filter with loads more options/control and more). It's really big and takes up a load of space but does so much (at least for me) that it's more than worth it. I'll look around for my POG2 settings and lost them if I can in them.

4. eriky4003

eriky4003

Gregmon79,
    Oddly enough, I don't have my POG2 with me at work so I'll have to revisit this thread to provide patches of which I only have 6. Not in love with the chorus as it choruses even lower notes which doesn't sound as nice (Boss/Behringer has a filter which reduces chorus on lower frequencies but nicely choruses the higher freqs) but I'll use a chorus only setting on higher note playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster

Great thread idea Greg. I've not explored my new Pog2 to any great extent as I'm spending much of my spare time building a larger board and I fractured a couple of fingers on my fret hand at work-"no bass for you!"

I will definitely be contributing settings as I come up with some. Mostly I've just done basic stuff-octave up/down. Capable of much more yes, but I'm starting with the basic MicroPog stuff to learn the pedal.

7. gregmon79

I wish I would've started small monster, that's part of my problem. I started playing with every switch on the thing as soon as it went on my board.

Tough break, no pun intended, on your fingers, that blows. My good friend worshipbass12 found out he had torn ligaments in his wrist over the beginning of this last winter. He's pretty much been sidelined since. I feel horrible for him. That's gotta be like losing a part of your soul not being able to play.

8. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster

Certainly does blow but they will heal. I have my index and pinky available so I can do some octaves and such.

9. BlushResponse

BlushResponse

I recently picked up a POG2 over the weekend. Most of the EHX suggested settings are crap for bass. I like how I can add a chorus effect by increasing the detune slider, to any setting I have. It's basically replaced my chorus pedal. Dialed up a few Chorus type settings after a few hours of fiddling with it. My next step is dialing up some fretless tones.
    On the minus side; you really need to write down your settings before saving them, since those sliders aren't motorized or anything.

10. eriky4003

eriky4003

BlushResponse,
    EHX website gives you a printable version of the manual which can also give you a settings sheet. As I wrote above, the detune slider will create a nice chorus but also choruses(?) your lower notes which I found doesn't sound as nice (YMMV). I had a 'just chorus' setting but deleted it after I found I didn't enjoy the lower notes chorused. Our band covers a song with a cello part and I found that the provided setting was a good starting point for a cello sound (I play it high up on the neck). I use one patch as a simple 'boost' patch. One of the organ patches is, again, a good starting point for an organ. I also have a simple 'doubling' patch which sounds like a guitar doubling the lines I'm playing to fatten up parts when the two guitarists are harmonizing. By itself, this patch doesn't sound great but when mixed in with the band it makes the overall band sound fuller.

11. BlushResponse

BlushResponse

Yeah, I printed up the setting sheets. I plan on tweaking one of the Organ sounds to use in conjunction with an ebow. The -2 octave is almost completely unusable when you play a bass normally. High on the neck might be better, but I don't usually play that high. If everyone leaves me alone tonight, I'll be able to fool around with the fretless. The suggested cello setting gave me some ideas to fiddle around with that might work well on a frettless.

12. eriky4003

eriky4003

BlushResponse,
    Our band cover Spirit of Radio and one part always stumped me. If you know the chorus, I would hammer-on the high note (E) on the G string (ninth fret) and play the low bass pedal part on either the E or B string (depending on if I was playing the 5 string). The passage on the E string is E, Fsharp, Gsharp. The next passage has both the low notes and the G string notes needed to be an octave higher. My final solution: -2 octave, +1 octave and no natural notes gets me there all on the Gstring. Again, by itself the POG2 sounds okay - in the band situation it sounds pretty good (slight delay on the notes which wouldn't be there with Rush's bass pedals)