1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Official Markbass Club - the beat goes on, and on....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

In addition to my LM tube, I now have a "super booster" pedal which seems to do exactly what it is meant to. The controls simulate those on my MB amp and I get control with my foot faster than on the amp.

So, I plan on using it with my amp as well as with the GK MB200 amp so I can control the sound on that as well. (Running both amps largely flat and controlling with the pedal instead).

However, I also use a Zoom pedal which has various effects such as a compressor on board. I assume I should use this before the MB pedal or if I modify the tone and volume levels it would affect the level of compression.

If I was using the XLR out to a PA, do you think I should use the output from the pedal or from the Amp (if pre eq)? I assume the pedal output would be a cleaner signal but is this the best thing to use for a PA or is the one in the amp better quality?

Having said that, I usually only play small venues (less than 500 people max) and have not needed PA support for bass yet....
  3. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]
  4. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Okay, I'll play. Here's my rig:

[​IMG]

The head is a LMK II that I have been rocking 1-2 times a week, four hours a night consistently since January 2008.

I am not the gentlest with my gear - this poor head stays in the trunk of my car all year round! And in NYC, that means harsh winters and summers. In spite of the way I treat it, it has not given me once single ounce of trouble whatsoever until recently - one *slightly* scratchy pot. I love the sound and the flexibility. It's the most reliable piece of gear I've ever owned. It seems weird to be attached to an amp, but I really have become attached to it. I'm planning on buying a backup soon though, just in case.

Anyway, I loved the head so much that in 2010 I bought two of their cabs, a 1x15 and a 2x10. These also come with me everywhere and have been a joy to play through, and of course, a joy to lift!

I have been championing their stuff to anyone who will listen for four years now and have personally convinced three friends to start using their stuff - one being a keyboardist! They are all smitten with their MB gear and obviously I am too. :)

I've dragged this stuff all over NYC and I'll be dragging it all up and down New Jersey this summer!

P.S., the Texas Rangers thing is just a magnet, and just a joke - they never won the World Series! A friend managed to score some of their "World Series Champions" swag which is of course supposed to be destroyed when they don't win.
  5. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas

Just received my Little Mark III Special Edition! Does this mean that I can get a number now?!

[​IMG]
  6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Hey fender amp gas you are #419. First new number in the new thread!
  7. woodyonbass

woodyonbass Supporting Member

First Markbass and a good one - SD800.

Attached Files:

8. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

Does anyone know the jumpers (I've found the obvious one so far, but can't locate the other one) to change the effects loop to series? I really don't feel like paying to ship my amp to CA and have them hold onto it forever. PM me please.
  9. Zermelo

Zermelo

You should sell that thing and realize how better you sound without it!!
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Do you use the Mesa Mark IV for bass, or guitar?
  11. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas

The Mark IV is for guitar only!! My bass cab (GK Neo 112-II) hasn't come in yet. I'm a guitar player that is just venturing into the world of bass playing.

I just put the LMIII on top of the amp for the picture.

Question: What would be everyone's recommendation on an overdrive pedal that would work well with the LMIII?
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

I figured, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I bet R1 would sound great with the amp driving a bass cabinet. Seeing your photo made me regret selling my Mark IV years ago. I loved R1 and the Lead channel but couldn't get R2 to do what I wanted. I should have kept it and just used a more Marshally amp for crunchy rhythm...

More on topic, I've used a Tech21 VT Bass pedal for great Adam Clayton Vertigo type overdrive. In fact, I should take it along for rehearsal tonight and try it on My Generation...

Less on topic...I also use my LittleMark III head as the final eq/power section of my guitar rack rig which employs a Tech21 PSA 1.1 as the preamp. Works very well!
  13. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas

Another question: I just received my GK Neo 112-III cab but it didn't come with a speakon cable. I'm assuming that I can use a 1/4 speaker cable from the 1/4 output of the LMIII to the 1/4 full-range input of the GK without issue. I'm not using the cab in bi-amp mode but should I buy a high quality speakon anyway?
  14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

1/4 inch speaker cable will work fine, but I would strongly recommend getting a speakon cable. They are much safer in general.
  15. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas

Thanks Marley!

Speakon added to list.
  16. Kinetic Shadow

Kinetic Shadow a.k.a. Black Bart Supporting Member

+1
  17. Craig_S

Craig_S

I found the LMII info:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if that will help at all.
  18. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

Thanks, but unfortunately it does not apply to the MoMark frames.
  19. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas

Another newbie question. So the Neo is a 4 conductor speakon so it can be run in bi-amp mode, but I should only get a 2 conductor speakon because the LMIII is only a 2-pole connector:

1+=signal
    1-=gnd

Is that right and what brand do people recommend? I probably only need a 3 to 4 foot cable.
  20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

That is sweet! :D