Official Marshall Amp Club!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Jun 8, 2008.

1. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

<Sigh, another club>

I actually received an inquiry about this club so...here it is!

This thread shall be dedicated to all owners of Marshall bass amplification. Detail and post what you have be it vintage Marshall(like a VBA400), or any of the newer MB series (combo or separate).

I have the 450h head and matching MBC410 cabinet. For me, this rig offers me the perfect sound for nice tight slap bass, and deep rich mellow fretless work, and can pump out a huge wall of sound for the harder classic rock tunes.:bassist:

Member/Founder Marshall club!
  2. LowRanger

LowRanger

Member #2, VBA400. Sweet amp, plenty of headroom. Run it with a Berg NV610 or NV425. One of these days I'll hook 'em both up at the same time.

Bass heaven!
  3. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

Welcome LowRanger! Just remember that with great power comes great responsibility....:p Don't forget to add your pics!!! Show 'em off!!
  4. bass bart

bass bart

Here's my Bass state 150
    Not much headroom but great tubey sound

[​IMG]

Ooh, am I now # 3 ?

set it to 11
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CanadaMan

CanadaMan

Hey, this thread's been dormant for a while, why not join up. My setup is identical to yours, KMB, and I included my Dingwall and my Squier P. Why not?

[​IMG]
  7. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

Please let me sign me up for the club. May I add a model 2001 to the mix?

[​IMG]
  8. Femto

Femto

I guess that makes me #6.

VBA400 - wonderful rich tones from those eight 6550 bottles.
    Running with a GK 4x10 and GK 2x12 at the moment but a nice Marshall 8x10 (VBC810) will be on its way soon, cos with the GK cabs, I need guy ropes! :D

CanadaMan, I love your Dingwall!

[​IMG]
  9. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01 - #01 Founder
    LowRanger - #02
    bass bart - #03
    CanadaMan #04
    Happy Face - #05
    Femto - #06
  10. greencow

greencow

Well I just got my Marshall MB4210 today(finally) and I like it a lot. No pics tough so I don't know if you'll let me in the club.

Meanwhile. Kissmybass could you give me a litle insights on how to set up my preamp?. I don't mean specific knob positions but just where to start and how to achieve a certain sound. Like what channel do you prefer to get a certain sound for a style of music, how much gain, compressor what shape to choose and so on.

That is if you have some time to spare : P

It's my first serious bass amp and going from a 3 band EQ to this is a bit complicated : P
  11. LowRanger

LowRanger

One of these days I have to get off my butt and take some pics. I've been mixing/matching heads/cabs basses, and the killer combo so far is the VBA400 with a NV425 and a Human Bass OCx5. Wow, just wow. I also own an SVT and NV610; that's a fine combination, but I think the Marshall tops it. Lots of tones for a "passive" tone stack, I guess the magic is in the mid switch.

For thirty years I thought tubes were obsolete, while I continued to try to "find my sound." Every now and then I'd pick up an SVT in a music shop and wonder who in their right mind would own one. After having tried everything out there solid-state and vented cab, the first time I hooked up the SVT/610 I wanted to kick my own arse. And the first time doing the VBA400/NV425, I was sold. I like modern tones, I like my treble, and these babies put it out sufficiently (and without the hiss of a horn).

I am SO glad I didn't wait another 30 years to give tubes/sealed cabs a try.

The VBA400 kicks butt!:hyper:
  12. EVILFACE

EVILFACE

My MB450H and MBC410 came in today. Great sounding setup, love the classic channel. Can't wait to blast it at practice this weekend.

[​IMG]
  13. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Count me in. I own the VBA with 4x12 vbc cab, SWR 2x10+swr15, Laney lx15 neo+4x10 neo. Good stuff! Oh, I have no way of posting footage yet, so you'll have to trust me on this. :hyper:
  14. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

JCM 800 Super Bass 100w.
    DBS 7200
    Model 5520 200w combo amp
  15. nysbob

nysbob

I have a '72 MK II 100W superlead that I've been using as a "presence" amp since about '78. I ditched the slant cab a while ago and just play it through 2 12" celestions.

So I think I qualify.

[​IMG]
  16. Happy Face

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "presence" amp?

That's one nasty looking but totally practical rig there. A real pro rset.
  17. nysbob

nysbob

I just run two amps - they aren't crossed over, but the SVT > 15"s does all the grunt work and the marshall is strong for mids and highs.

I started using 2 amps back in the 70's - I bought an acoustic 370/301 and realized within a month that it would sound much better paired with a guitar rig to handle definition.

The rig in the pic has been in service since '92 and been all over the US. It still sounds utterly amazing to me.
  18. Happy Face

Thanks nysbob. That has always made sense to me but not that many folks, at least around here, seem to do that.

Killer rig!
  19. -dotzy-

-dotzy-

nice thread!!!
    i love my marshall i wouldnt part with it for the world!!!
    can i get a number please!?!

[​IMG]
  20. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01 - #01 Founder
    LowRanger - #02
    bass bart - #03
    CanadaMan #04
    Happy Face - #05
    Femto - #06
    greencow - #7
    Evilface - #8
    Woofman - #9
    JimB52 - #10
    nysbob - #11
    dotzy - #12
  21. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

Sorry it took so long to get back but here's some basic starting points for the 450H head.

I've found that running strictly the "Modern" channel sounds really nasally - even after tweaking the many EQs. Lately, I've been running with just the "Classic" channel because IMO it has a much warmer, fuller sound.

In addition, if you do try the Modern channel (alone) or blended with the tube channel, try setting the compressor to either OFF or a low setting like 1 or 2.

When I blend the channels, I use about 85% Classic and 15% (or less) Modern.

Other info:

- The speaker cabs (including the combos, I'm sure) can handle max power from the amp, so they can be run hard.

- The DI output on the back should be set to "pre" to prevent sending a too hot signal to the board.

Others can add any other tips they might find useful:bassist: