Official U.S. Peavey Cirrus Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
  2. Joospocks

Joospocks Supporting Member

The 5 string in the pic is the one I currently own; the 4 is currently on the way from TB'er Mike. They're both walnut/bubinga, and I think my walnut/bubinga fiver is awesome as well!

BTW Revroy, I got my Cirrus 5 in July '10 and I haven't had to change the batteries yet. However, I do make sure to unplug it and I probably spend less time playing it than I should. :bassist:
  3. envy1400

envy1400

those of you with six stringers what kind of strings do you use? i was thinking of trying out the cirrus strings to see what theyre like
  4. ba$$player

ba$$player

Ok so I recently purchased a cirrus 5 Maple/alder and I love the way is sounds. Is the mill pre-amp worth it? Does it really add that much?
    Second I kinda want to do some custom Knobs. Any reccomendations? I was thinking flame maple with purpleheart inlays. Thanks in advance!
  5. Joospocks

Joospocks Supporting Member

The people who have the millennium preamp generally seem very pleased with it. It probably comes down to how much tone "sculpting" power you want. Also, THG Knobs has been recommended on here before. I have never purchased anything from them, but it looks like they can make pretty much whatever you are after. I think purpleheart with maple tops would look pretty cool on that bass. Anything with those woods would probably look great.

Now that I've told you what I've heard, I'll pipe down and let the people with actual hands on experience talk. :D
  6. VS

VS

Disclosures:
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I've used Dean Markley SR2000's for 9 years on my Cirrus sixers. There are a variety of gauges available and you really can't top these strings. They retail for about $72.00 but can be easily found online for about $30-$40 a set. They are taper wrapped at the bridge for amazing sustain and come with Cortec anti-corrosion technology. You can expect "months" of great tone when you play every day. -Luke
  7. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

8. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Big fan of DR Hi-Beams, MR6-30 sets.
  9. envy1400

envy1400

i've used DR lo riders many time in the past on my 5er and 4 and liked em. what differences are in the Hi-Beams?
  10. nervous

Never tried lo-riders but I believe that the Hi Beams have a very bright (initial) characteristic and mellow nicely into a long lasting lively sound.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5894
  11. Lenhny

Lenhny

I got both (steel), and I first found the hi beam much too bright, but now after 2 months it's alright. they get the grain up. I think you can keep them long (as all DR).
    the lo-rider growl much too, but fatter.
  12. genstormbringer

genstormbringer

Yes the Milli pre is great once you get the hang of it def worth the investment
  13. spade2you

spade2you

Looks like I won the redwood 6er on ebay. Hopefully it arrives in good shape and turns out to be a great bass.

What's to get the hang of? Find some mid frequencies ya like and call it good.
  14. VS

VS

Disclosures:
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Awesome man! Get some pics up when she arrives! -Luke
  15. spade2you

spade2you

Will do. Depending on how much I like it, I might sell the Peacock blue Cirrus 5 I have.
  16. Kipaste

Kipaste

Hey! Nice to hear you got that one. I kept an eye on that and almost decided to bid but as I saw one bid pop out I figured it might be you. Enjoy the bass!
  17. Double Agent

Double Agent

Glad to see you're still enjoying the bass Joos. I miss it sometimes. They are awesome.

As far as the Millennium pre. I happen to really like where the mids are on the stock Cirrus pre, so I was never tempted by the sweepable mids. But, if you want/need to adjust different mid frequencies on the fly, the Millennium pre is a great choice. It was unnecessary for me though.
  18. spade2you

spade2you

Muchas gracias!!! :)
  19. spade2you

spade2you

Kipaste, I was meant to quote your comment about about lighter woods, but I can't get to the former club and link it. Anyway, with the Cirrus, I wouldn't see redwood impacting the tone a whole lot, although I'll be able to confirm this when I get it.

I think a lot of the tone will come from the neck, fingerboard, center block, maybe some from the wings, and minimal impact from the top.

I think dense woods have their place, but I find their dynamic to often be a little compressed sounding or sometimes have a very strong attack with quick decay. I tend to prefer the lower density woods for their resonance and even/open sound. My lighter touch makes lighter basses seem to have infinite sustain. For me, I like a wood that has some influence, but not complete dominance to the point where I can't EQ stuff in and out.
  20. nervous

I know a lot of folks are not big redwood fans but I have to say I find some of the choices to be beautiful, this being one of them. Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.