1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Official Zon Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    In. :)

Original picture of mine, and currently the only Zon I own, but it pretty much looks the same even now, even after having played it a bunch. :)

I got this bass from Adrian Garcia (RIP, my brother), and it's been magic since day one.

[​IMG]

3. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

To respond to Rob, I think that not disclosing the fact that there are a bunch of custom options changes the scenario. Usually when I hear about instruments with delays, it's usually because it is an instrument with a bunch of custom features or non-standard options that require a bunch of work/setup/extra preparation to make it work. Almost all of the instruments that late are custom instruments- they don't do very many, so the more "custom" features your instrument has, the longer it's going to take. They should be better about their estimates to be sure, but nobody is perfect.

You don't even want to know how late my instrument is, but Joe has always been straight with me and I don't have any issues with the wait as a result (part of which was for a noble reason, in fact) despite that I paid 100% up front.

Just check in with them every once in a while, get a straight answer, and you'll be fine. Part of the reason I'm fine with the wait is the two specialized instruments I've gotten from them are the best instruments I've ever touched. Ever.

4. robwren

robwren

Thanks, Angus. You're right. "Custom" likely does mean longer, but the feeling that I'm getting is when you start to get into 3x the estimated build time, you start to use up your "custom" wiggle room in the schedule.

I agree that Joe's basses are amazing, and that's the thing that has kept me patient to this point. I continue to hold out hope. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    I'm in with Darth Zon----

[​IMG]

7. ehque

ehque

8. ehque

ehque

What's the specs on your bass?

9. robwren

robwren

I'd rather not say out of respect to Joe until I clear it with him just because there are some unique features that he hasn't made public yet. Basically, it's a customized TJ-6.

10. Vic

Disclosures:
    +1

Admittedly, I agree with Mike's thoughts on time frames, and I would've personally been pretty surprised if it'd actually been done in 6 months, but still, when an estimate is given, everything about the bass should've been taken into consideration.

Once you get to around 3x the estimated time, I think most folks would consider that pretty abnormal... even for a shop with workload issues like Joe's.

IMHO, anyway.

11. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Yep, I agree, although it's more about them needing to be more realistic with timeframes on non-standard instruments than anything. They take substantially longer for instruments that have features that depart from their standard, but there is a reason for that, particularly if it involves the neck (for obvious reasons).

Robwren, I wouldn't worry about holding the specs back. There are lots of instruments with non-standard features out there, so it's unlikely that yours is the first they've done.

12. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

Subscribed.

I`m still considering my 1st custom bass, and it`s gonna be a Zon for sure (maybe next year).

I don`t mind waiting for more than a year.

13. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'll help the thread along - my fretless Sonus Special. What a beautiful bubinga top! This keeps me from fretting while I wait for the bass Joe's building for me.

[​IMG]

Sounds like this: http://www.folkina.com/audio/FOLK_IN_A-Dona_Elizabeta.mp3
    No EQ, no compression. None needed. What a singer she is. That tune kind of wrote itself in part based on how she sounds.

14. Vic

Disclosures:
    That's my old bass!!!! I got this one new from Adrian as well, and that's even the same picture from him that I had on my site for a while, even the same filename! :D

Still, to-date, the most magical fretless I've ever played. If I was more of a fretless player, it'd still be mine, and if I get another fretless, it'll most likely be another Zon Sonus Special like this. :)

15. robwren

robwren

Kesslari, great looking bass! Brings to mind a decision I may get to make someday: gloss or matte finish? I feel I'm a gloss man myself. Those of you that have played both on Zons, have you noticed a tonal difference between the two? Any other observations on the two finishes (durability, etc.)?

16. Vic

Disclosures:
    I haven't checked them both out in a pristine listening environment, but I have checked both out. That said...

I don't believe there is any tonal difference. I would even extend that to a more severe case of finish diffs, but we don't have to go there right now.

I think it simply boils down to aesthetics. With gloss, you get a deeper look to the wood, but you also get fingerprints. With satin/matte, you don't get prints, but you'll probably get "shiny spots" where your hands/fingers touch the bass most, and it'll make wood figuring look a little more natural, almost like an oil finish, and not as accentuated as a gloss finish.

I'm pretty sure (tho welcome correction) the material is pretty much the same in both gloss and matte/satin finish, so durability is not an issue.

17. ehque

ehque

Satin feels better and is cheaper.

For me, that is it.

18. hyperba55

hyperba55

I can't beleive I didn't post any pics in part 1. Here's my Zon Hyperbass, vII.

Attached Files:

19. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Sonus Custom, Ash Body with piezo bridge.... Sweeet!

20. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

Wow, these last two look simply stunning.

21. ehque

ehque

My VB6 is nearly done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.