Oh great, I'm double booked

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I play in two bands (actually three, but the third one doesn't do much). The blues band has a gig booked at a sports bar for April 25. I just got a very excited e-mail from the leader of the R&B band about a gig at a popular nightclub the same night.

This sucks. Yes, it's my own fault, but I've been in so many bands that are all talk and that never get gigs, I didn't think it would be a problem.

I'd rather do the R&B gig; I think that is a better band with more potential, and it's a higher profile gig. But I did already commit to the blues gig.

I think I'm going to ask the blues band if we can switch our gig at the sports bar to another night. We're in the regular rotation there. The nightclub gig, OTOH, is open because one of the popular local bands had to cancel, and it's our chance to get out foot in the door there.

Failing that, I'll see if I can hire a sub for the blues gig. Blues tunes are easy, right?
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

I'd try and switch the gig. If you guys are already in the club regularly, owner should be cool. The other guys..............well???? Blues are easy, I wouldn't go that far :) Good Luck!
  3. bikingbassist

bikingbassist

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck man. I was double booked recently at 2 places my bands frequent and they were both not very friendly when I talked about re-scheduling.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. Supporting Member

SOME blues are easy, and some subs can handle almost anything - but that is not fair to your band, unless they know and approve before you get the sub (could you do the gig easily - every song - with no rehearsals?).

If there is any chance of this happening again, you need to sit down with your #2 band, and let them know they are not your priority. Give them the opportunity to replace you if they want. How would you feel being in their shoes?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm open on the 25th if you need a sub.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Do you keep an easily accessible calendar? Like a Google Calendar that you can access from your phone?

Do your bands maintain the same?

This would stop this from happening. I not only keep my own calendar, but the band uses one and codes dates.

-Members block off days they know they can't gig (trips, events, etc).

-Each new gig offer gets entered on the calender with the color/category of "Unconfirmed Gig".

When we discuss a potential gig, everyone looks at their calendar. If they're unsure about a date, they get back to the member who's booking that gig (we all take a part in that) with the results. That member is responsible for bird-dogging any members who have not responded yes/no.

Once we have everyone on board and have confirmed with the club/event/bar, the calendar even is changed to the category/color of "Confirmed Gigs".

Done.

I also have a category to put on for holidays or events that might mess with booking...We're in a big university area, and its best to have spring breaks mapped out, etc. so you know not to play on days that campus will be empty. Superbowl Sunday, etc.
  8. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

You're right. I need to have the same conversation with the #3 band too, for that matter.

Thanks man, that would be a lifesaver. I'll get back to you ASAP.
  9. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Sub me in.

I live in Canada, but whatever.
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    +1

I guess I'm old school, but if you accept a job, that should actually mean something. Otherwise be honest and say, I'm accepting this unless I get a better offer.
  11. jnuts1

jnuts1

"I guess I'm old school, but if you accept a job, that should actually mean something."

so you would never get a sub if an amazing gig came knocking?
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. Supporting Member

Put yourself in the place of the other band members. To them, their band is #1. If it is a one-time thing, be it another gig, family emergency - whatever.

But if it is something that is likely to re-occur, you owe it to them to be honest, and if they prefer to get someone who will make that band top option (and you stick with them until you are replaced). Treat others as how you feel you deserve to be treated.
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Being in two bands, this was inevitable to happen sooner or later...
  14. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

You need a support team of players in the same position that you know and trust. Every body calls each other for the subs. All the bands are aware of the situation and eventually ( not too long) know and trust your first and second call subs.
  15. Seanto

Seanto

Double booked...sweet. No need for any drama surrounding this. Find a sub for the blues gig and move along!
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I guess your BL doesn't call/email to confirm availability. In one of my previous bands, the BL was notorious for not checking before booking gigs! I got in the habit of sending him blackout dates.
  17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Most likely you have thought about it, but is there no chance you can do both? Won't work if they're both 4+hour gigs, but maybe you could move the blues gig to an earlier time slot (or later, depending on when the second one goes on stage). That may be tough on you however, been there done that... Just my $0.02. I agree on getting a sub and clarifying your terms to both bands if you can't do that.
  18. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Getting a sub is reasonable and considerate. It shows your band mates that if you can't make it that night due to double booking or other circumstances you've still got their backs.
  19. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

This is exactly right.

I'd say for this current predicament, it doesn't hurt to ask the blues band about rescheduling for another night. But you're already committed to it, which means you're responsible to play the gig, or (if the band is okay with it) you need to find a sub. Or of course you could be a stereotypically flaky musician, back out of your commitment, and suffer the natural consequences.

I know I can sound uptight about this stuff, but it really ticks me off that so many musicians (sometimes myself included) back out of things, don't follow through on promises, and lose or damage other people's gear. The stereotype exists for a reason, and we all need to fight it.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

There ya go! Hopefully Mr. jive1 can help you out. I wish I lived closer. I like playing me some blues once in a while. :cool:

I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask about rescheduling. But if that can't happen I can only encourage you to be a man of your word.

I've had to turn down higher paying gigs, sometimes for 3x the money, more than a few times in my career because I had already committed to another gig. Things have always worked out. Now, don't get me wrong, if somebody really big like Billy Ray Cyrus were to call me for a gig I'm sure my guys would understand if I had to cancel on them. ;)

But how often is that going to happen? Let your 'yes' mean 'yes', and your 'no' mean 'no'. I'd rather not have the reputation of being a "gig whore".

I was recently replaced in my #2 band because the band leader didn't like the fact that his was my #2 band, not my first commitment. That's OK. We are still friends and will still work together occasionally. Friends and professionals can be honest with each other and work together when circumstances allow.

I wish you all the best. I know it's hard sometimes. With only one band it can leave a lot of holes in your calendar. I was hoping to work a little more by joining another band but after only three gigs it turned out there was too much potential for conflict. Not to worry. I can step in that #2 band any time if they need a sub, as I can do with several other bands in my area. We're one big, happy, dysfunctional family. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  21. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

The last band I was in that gigged regularly did exactly this. We had a Google calendar and everyone knew the password. Everybody had their own color and blocked off stuff in advance when they knew they had something else going. Otherwise, the assupmtion by the BL -- and rightly so -- was that a particular date was availalbe.

I played with them for about 2 years and we never double-booked, to my knowledge. And we played just about as much as we were able between work schedules and family stuff.

dcr