1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

OH MY!! Found this on Ebay. HOLY $#%*!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassmusic17, Jan 19, 2014.

1. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Yeah, it's been on eBay for quite a while. I saw an eBay link on TB about six months ago for this.

Great bedroom practice rig! ;)
  3. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

No thanks.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Oh my indeed.
    Those are folded horns, aren't they? I have never seen these in my life.
    I just can't imagine owning such an awesome rig. How many of these were even produced?!
  5. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    If I remember correctly, you have to have all the cabinets connected to get the full output.

It can be modded though. It's a museum piece really.
  6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

My bud had that head. The lights dimmed when he powered it up! :D
  7. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Well you wouldn't mod a museum piece; it's mentioned in the ad that it's actually residing in the Fender museum.
  8. majortoby

majortoby

I really wonder what that sounds like fully overdriven with all three cabs connected...
  9. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Like the sky is opening up, and the rapture is upon us I would imagine.
  10. majortoby

majortoby

The rapture, or the apocalypse?! :bassist:
  11. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a doomsday computer from the original Star Trek.
  12. DZello

DZello

Exactly what I was thinking!
  13. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

Actually if you want to know what it sounded like, listen to live Allman Brothers from that time period. Berry Oakley used one. And, correct, you have to have all three cabinets to get the full power.
  14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

What an amazing thing for Fender to have produced! If it was done even halfway right it would be incredible with three 18" drivers in folded horns with all that power ! You sure wouldn't need any PA assistance. It might even have been dangerous to be standing in front of it - seriously.
  15. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I couldn't imagine ever needing anything else. This is just stupid loud.
  16. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I've never seen one of those cabinets. The original Fender amp stand is at least as rare. The amps do pop up from time to time, but not usually so nice looking. Seems to me that's a great deal, but shipping across the continent would be ridiculous.

I haven't been able to get any overdrive from mine, but I haven't turned it all the way up. I'm only using 2 cabinets (NOT the obelisks in the pic!) usually, so it's only putting out watts on par with the feeble SVT. I wouldn't want to mod an ugly one like mine, never mind an actual museum piece. Hard to find somebody that could do it, cost more than buying a new amp, and remove what made this one special.

This. Hasn't stopped me from buying other stuff, of course. I bought a TB-approved brand lightweight head as a "backup" but never needed it. When I took it out of its bag recently, it was stone cold dead and well out of warranty. I'll stick with my reprehensible Iron Age tech.
  17. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

Welcome back baby.......One of these with a Peavey MKIII was my rig around 1985.
    I moved, the cab sat on my friends front porch in downtown Toronto for 4 years before it disappeared. Sounded exactly as you'd expect. :rollno:
  18. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Looks like Fender's copy of the Cerwin-Vega B48, or the other one that Gene Cerwinski designed for Acoustic, for use with the Acoustic 360.
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The 400PS is one of those "mother of all amps" amps.

There is a 300PS for sale here locally. I haven't sold my firstborn into bondage to get it............yet. :D

And yeah, 3 power section outs. 145 watts to one cab, 290 watts to 2 cabs, 435 watts to 3 cabs......all tube.

As we all know, the equivelent "balls" in a solid state offering would require 43,500 transistor watts, but they still wouldn't have tone.

:D
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Praytell....have you tried the guitar channel with all the extra eq, or any input jack jumpering?

I'm pretty keen on this 300PS, though it is a commitment. Especially considering I also have a Peavey Classic 400 sitting here that's only a handfull of power tubes away from being another ultimate rig of doom.