oh no what did i do? (overdrive content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shwashwa, Dec 12, 2013.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

well, ive done it, i went and tried and overdrive pedal, and i liked it! now i can see this being a never ending rabbit hole. it seems to me its like tasting beer. they're all good, (its beer duh) but they all have their own flavor and you can experiment for days with just one pedal, and then, add the other stuff into the mix. i use mine for upright bass believe it or not. just a hint, a slight touch to fill out the sound. (just adding harmonic content?) i never ever considered OD to be something i want on bass, but it seems it gives me the fullness im looking for. its amazing that some settings actually make my instrument feel different. is this what other people experience? i notice some settings make my bass feel loose and easy to play, and some make it feel tight. i guess when i think about it, all those classic jazz recordings that i listen too were recorded with tube mic preamps because nothing else existed at the time, so my ears are probably used to hearing a certain amount of harmonic coloration on the tone (all the instruments for that matter). i havent played my first gig with it yet (tomorrow) but i feel like its going to be a good thing. im worried now because im going down the rabbit hole. im playing with the tone hammer pedal, the vt bass pedal (cant get rid of the harsh highs no matter what i try) and im considering a sfx red dragon, a pork loin, and a barbershop. help! any advice for an OD newbie? really i dont want distortion, ive just been looking to get a fuller warmer sound for years out of a piezo pickup that can tend to sound harsh. is this a correct use for overdrive? should i just get a tube preamp and be done with it? (of course i suppose id have to overdrive it to get what im looking for?)
    (i dont know if im imagining it, and i probably wont be able to tell until i get to a gig and hear it with a band, but could it actually be evening out some problem areas on my bass?)
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The three you list would have been my three suggestions. There are a few clips on YouTube of upright guys using the Pork Loin and the Red Dragon. The Pork Loin is darker, less farty, a little cheaper, and easier to get than the Red Dragon. I imagine on low gain settings the Barbershop would be nice for adding some special sauce to your tone, too.
  3. shwashwa

shwashwa

ive never used OD before. is that feeling im describing above of the feeling of my strings changing something that other people feel to or am i imagining it?
  4. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I would recommend the Barbershop. I think it can definitely give you what you're looking for.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Is there a difference? We could all be feeling something you are imagining. Perception is a powerful thing. But yeah, strings feel different with different levels of amplification and drive just like they feel different on different instruments with dissimilar resonance. I'm guessing your perception of the strings is relative to the sound you're hearing, so an OD will definitely alter that perception. Sound and feel are interrelated.
  7. shwashwa

shwashwa

crazy, so this is what im afraid of. from reading the threads here it seems like people go on and on searching for a "better" feel or sound. im just going to leave well enough alone.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. I have only limited need for an OD pedal and certainly nothing that is overwhelming. I bought the Barbershop based solely on the reviews I read here on TB.

Riis
  9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

The Barbershop is a real gem. You won't regret trying one.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

RedDragon laps up piezo pickup. I really dig it on the ubass, very smooth and touch sensitive like real tubes.
  11. shwashwa

shwashwa

i dont doubt that it does, but what would ever make you think to try overdrive pedal on a ubass? its the last thing i thought i would ever want on an upright bass, but im rethinking that now.
  12. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Darkglass VMT??
  13. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I totally get using OD on an DB... they're kind of expensive, but I'd try a Dark Glass VMT.
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Although he plays EUB (and horizontal bass too), François Garny is a man to give ideas when it comes to effects on upright. Check from 2:30 and the solo at 6:50.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The way I set it RedDragon doesn't overdrive fully unless I really dig in.

The Ashdown I use at rehearsals doesn't have high enough input impedance to get the ubass piezo working. I didn't get it for that purpose specifically but pleased at the outcome all the same.
  16. shwashwa

shwashwa

pretty cool, but definitely not the sound im going for. i want it to sound really natural, like an acoustic bass, but with more fullness than my current setup gives me. almost like no effect at all, but just some kind of special something happening from the pedal. are these still the pedals i should be looking at given this description? i have to say the tone hammer pedal with the ags is pretty cool. this might be it, but id like to try some other flavors too
  17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Don't look to the VT for overdrive. It's really a pre-amp/cab simulator for the most part.
  18. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

+1000 My three favourites so far and all on my board: SFX Micro Red Dragon, Pork Loin, and Barbershop.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

For what you're describing here, VMT. Idk how it reacts with URB though. Haven't heard a lot of folks use it with it but I'd imagine it would sound phenomenal. I've seem some guys use a pork loin too with upright, I thought it sounded very full and rich.
  20. shwashwa

shwashwa

sorry for the silly question, but what do you do with 3 of them? you dont run them all at the same time do you?
  21. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

No, they are just very different. The barbershop does Heavy OD maybe better. It sounds super natural to me.

The Micro Red Dragon does very low to medium-high gain very well. It does an amazing job of doing mild overdrive sounds (but it is still a good full on OD). I love it on my Phil Jones briefcase, it adds such a nice warmth when I want it.

The Pork Loin sounds a bit more vintage to me and has a different tone, hard to explain. I don't know, I can't bring myself to part with either of them.