1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ohms Problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jaxstarke, Apr 12, 2014.

1. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Currently have a 4 ohm 4x10 cab and my head states that the minimum load it will tolerate is 4 ohms. I would really, really like to add another cab to my setup but I don't know if that's even possible with that 4 ohm cab in the mix. I've read a few things about running 4 and 8 ohm cabs in series and one guy even said something about rewiring the 4 ohm cab to make it 8 ohms but that seemed pretty farfetched to me. Any suggestions other than ditching the 4 ohm 4x10 cab for 2 8 ohm cabs? Thanks in advance.

2. mbelue

mbelue

Your cab can probably be rewired to be 16ohms. That will give you a very small percentage of the power you were getting before but you could add more speakers. Generally speaking the volume you'll gain from more speakers won't offset the loss from that higher ohmage.
    What amp are you using?

3. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

GK Backline 600. Just bought it used a few days ago.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

What cab is it? You might be able to order new speakers for the 410 but will likely cost more than a new cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

You can't rewire it to 8Ohms. Your best option IMO would be to get another identical 4Ohm cab and buy or make a series cable to connect them to your amp.

7. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

@B-string-Fender Rumble 4x10. Definitely not worth buying new speakers for. Thanks dmusic148. I'm going to do a little research and look into that option.

8. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Would this box do the job?

Attached Files:

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

That will do the job.

10. David Jayne

David Jayne

+1. Nicer option, no special cables needed.

11. madmarvin

madmarvin

Have you considered a two amp setup? Maybe a cheap Peavey to power a second cab?

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

There are problems associated with running disparate cabinets in series.

1) You simply cannot anticipate how they will sound together.

2) If the cabinets both have crossovers they could well interact poorly with each other.

3) Unless the cabinets are of the same impedance, the power distribution will be way off. Say you add an 8Ω 2x10 to your 4Ω 4x10 in series, the 8Ω cabinet will be given twice the power that the 4Ω cabinet receives. This is opposite to what you actually want to happen.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  13. Blue9

Blue9

Figured this might be a good place to ask my question.
    I'm looking at a cab on craigslist - it's wired for 16 ohms mono, or 8 ohms stereo. It's got four 16 ohm speakers. Can this be wired for 4 ohms? Would that be two sets of speakers wired in parallel, and then attach those two groupings in series?
    And a long-shot question here - any way to add some resistors to make the cab run at 5.3 ohms? I'm assuming that wouldn't work, or would mess with the sound, but figured I'd ask the dumb question.

14. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Yank all the wiring and re-wire them all in parallel for a 4 ohm load.
    5.33 ohms would come from yanking one speaker, filling the hole it occupied, rewiring the 3 remaining speakers in parallel and reworking the porting arrangements.

4 ohms easy, 5.33 not worth trying.

Also, if your head has two outs, you can use the stereo 8 ohm inputs and run it as "2 cabs" for a total 4 ohm load.

15. Blue9

Blue9

Awesome - thanks for the info! Definitely don't want to try the 5.3 route - 4 ohms is good enough!