ohms/watts question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joecarrr, Dec 16, 2012.

1. joecarrr

joecarrr

I recently went to and 8x10 cab and I'm not very happy with it. I need more low end. I just ran into a deal on craigslist for 2 cabs. A 2x10 and a 1x18. Both ampeg. My current cab is an acoustic and its rated at 800 watts at 4 ohms. The ampeg cabs are 200 watts at 8 ohms each.
    my amp is a crown xls 1000. I have it bridged to the 8x10. The power on the amp breaks down like this.
    RMS Power Rating:
    8 ohms: 215 watts x 2 chan.
    4 ohms: 350 watts x 2 chan.
    2 ohm: 550 watts x 2 chan.
    Bridged, 8 ohms: 700 watts x 1 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 1100 watts x 1 chan.

So if I run stereo at 8 ohms, I'll be sending out 215 watts each.
    Finally, here's my question. Do you think I'll be getting a similar volume level with the ampeg cabs as I amp with my acoustic?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

No, you no longer have the speaker cone area. Maybe you should try a different BETTER 810 cab? Maybe look into a 412 cab Like G-K, Traynor, Berg, Mesa?
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Maybe the OP could try out a pair of Eden 4x10xst that would give him
    very efficient low frequency performance.:bassist:
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

You couldn't give me anything made by Acoustic in the last 30 years. If you haven't got enough low end it isn't because you are using 10" speakers, it's because you are using the wrong 10" speakers/cab. I highly advise against mixing cabs and unless you have 2 amps it is downright stupid.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

That would do very well. :) I am not a believer in bridging BTW and to bridge an amp into a entry-level cab will not make a cheap cab a great cab. Only gives the cab a better chance of burn-out.
  7. joecarrr

joecarrr

Well, I've decided to try out the ampeg cabs. My crown amp has crossovers in it. So I'm going to play with those and see if I can set the 18 to play the lower stuff and everything up from a certain tbd point put through the 2x10. I think the acoustic cab sounds good but it's just not what I'm used to. The guys in my band love it. Crisp and clear. LOUD! But I've always played through a 1x15 and through the P.A. So I just miss that super low tone. If these cabs don't work. I have a 2x15 peavey black widow that needs a speaker. I might buy a speaker and try that.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I once tried out an Acoustic 810, a Markbass Cl108, and an 810e at GC. The Acoustic came in a distant third. I'd do the Ampeg cabs as well...besides, who wouldn't want that nifty racing striped grill? ;)
  9. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

If it were me, THAT would be the first thing I did.

Bi-amping when done properly works well (speakers/cabs designed specifically for that purpose). When doing it with 2 different full cabs - meh
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    10 inch speakers can provide plenty of low end. Its all about EQ and moving air. I usually use two Ampeg 410HE cabs and low end is never an issue. If you are looking for more low end you might want to try an SVT410HLF.
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

What I find strange is your 8x10 not being grunty enough. Perhaps you have some blown drivers. Maybe your guitarists are stomping on your mids. Could be you aren't eqing yourself well.

I sometimes run 15 and 2x10 vertically with 250w. It sounds better biamped with a crossover but there's no point to lugging it all.

Whatever is not working with the 8x10 tone could possibly work better with the others and be loud enough. All being somewhat equal it should be less loud.
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, i'm having a hard time with "not enough low end" from 1100w into an 8x10, even a cheap one.
  13. joecarrr

joecarrr

It's brand new. I don't think it's so much the frequency but the tone. I don't know, It's loud, it's low but just not the same as my ampeg combo. It's funny cuz my drummer says it tickles his butt...lol! I think it just dosen't sound like me.
  14. B-string

The cab may also be tuned like a classic Ampeg 810, rolling off at 80HZ. This was done to get a powerful bass sound out front, not to waste power rumbling the stage and turning to mud out front?

After all what you want on stage matters little if it turns to garbage out where the people paying the bills are? :D
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The Acoustic cab has to roll off at a considerably higher point than the Ampeg. Even the little Markbass 810 that's almost a foot shorter than the 810e had more bottom than the Acoustic cab.
  16. B-string

So I still say it is a cheap entry level cab, but Jimmy you should know by now size alone doesn't matter :D. I wonder if it's advertised roll off is at -3 db, -10 db or the onset of roll-off (-1 db).
  17. mc_muench

mc_muench

Get a second 810, if one isnt adequate.

Rev DOOM
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Heh...freq. response isn't advertised at all!
  19. B-string

20. joecarrr

joecarrr

:D:bassist:
  21. Sartori

Sartori

Clearly the thing to do is get two Ampeg 810 cabs.

It is the only way.