1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Oil finish questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Greetings

In the past, I have used Minwax Antiquing Oil with great success. I'd do the oil sanding with the various grits of sandpaper until I got down to 600. After that I would put on a coat or 2 in the described method. I would be left with a nice satin finish. To top it off, I would open a brand new can, (which is still pretty low in viscosity), and wipe on a coat and leave it. If I do it right, it dries to a nice glossy finish.

I just went to do that, and the new can I opened smelled different, and had a thicker viscosity than I'm used to. My tactic for final coat wasn't working. The finish was going "orange peel" on me real bad. I rubbed it out so all is fine

This is where my questions comes in

1) Can I get a glossy/semi glossy finish with Tru Oil?

2) Can I put Tru Oil over the base of Minwax I already have down?

(If I understand the antiquing oil, its a varnish/oil blend)

Thanks

-Scps

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

1) I see no reason why not

2) I'm sure it will be fine, most oil finishes play nicely together. You may test it on a scrap piece first though.

3. Scoops

Thanks for the feedback

I've never used TruOil before, and with alot of people using it here with success. I saw a video where the narrator indicates you can put down multiple coats of TruOil, and buff it out to a gloss. If that's the case I'm incline to move in that direction.

On the other hand, I just got word back from Minwax, and they indicate they haven't changed the formula, so maybe I just got a bad can.

Hmmmm

4. Luvie

Luvie

Here's a mahogany body with multiple coats of Tru-oil applied by hand, wet-sanded and polished to a gloss finish.

[​IMG]

Tru-oil is not an "oil" finish. It's a varnish.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scoops

Now THAT's what I'm talkin about!

How many coats is that?
    What did you use to polish?

7. Luvie

Luvie

I did this over a good bit of time since I had made the body but didn't have a neck for it. So I'm not completely positive. But I'd estimate I used ten coats to grain fill then applied ten more after the pores were filled. I rubbed it on with bare fingers.

The wet sanding was 800 grit up to 2000. Then I used 3M Finesse-It 2 then Machine Glaze both with foam pads on an electric drill.

The neck is also Tru-oil. I've done 4 necks with it. I love how it looks and especially how they play. This was my first body with Tru-oil.