Oil finish questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Greetings

In the past, I have used Minwax Antiquing Oil with great success. I'd do the oil sanding with the various grits of sandpaper until I got down to 600. After that I would put on a coat or 2 in the described method. I would be left with a nice satin finish. To top it off, I would open a brand new can, (which is still pretty low in viscosity), and wipe on a coat and leave it. If I do it right, it dries to a nice glossy finish.

I just went to do that, and the new can I opened smelled different, and had a thicker viscosity than I'm used to. My tactic for final coat wasn't working. The finish was going "orange peel" on me real bad. I rubbed it out so all is fine

This is where my questions comes in

1) Can I get a glossy/semi glossy finish with Tru Oil?

2) Can I put Tru Oil over the base of Minwax I already have down?

(If I understand the antiquing oil, its a varnish/oil blend)

Thanks

-Scps
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

1) I see no reason why not

2) I'm sure it will be fine, most oil finishes play nicely together. You may test it on a scrap piece first though.
  3. Scoops

Thanks for the feedback

I've never used TruOil before, and with alot of people using it here with success. I saw a video where the narrator indicates you can put down multiple coats of TruOil, and buff it out to a gloss. If that's the case I'm incline to move in that direction.

On the other hand, I just got word back from Minwax, and they indicate they haven't changed the formula, so maybe I just got a bad can.

Hmmmm
  4. Luvie

Luvie

Here's a mahogany body with multiple coats of Tru-oil applied by hand, wet-sanded and polished to a gloss finish.

[​IMG]

Tru-oil is not an "oil" finish. It's a varnish.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scoops

Now THAT's what I'm talkin about!

How many coats is that?
    What did you use to polish?
  7. Luvie

Luvie

I did this over a good bit of time since I had made the body but didn't have a neck for it. So I'm not completely positive. But I'd estimate I used ten coats to grain fill then applied ten more after the pores were filled. I rubbed it on with bare fingers.

The wet sanding was 800 grit up to 2000. Then I used 3M Finesse-It 2 then Machine Glaze both with foam pads on an electric drill.

The neck is also Tru-oil. I've done 4 necks with it. I love how it looks and especially how they play. This was my first body with Tru-oil.