Ok I have an amp issue. Need advice SVT-350 in pawn or forget it and buy a PF-500.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TUEP, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

I have an Ampeg SVT-350 in the pawn shop that I owe about $200 bucks on and that includes a so-so GK backline 1x15 cab. Then I got to thinking..I don't mind the amp but these days I could do better. I see that Ampeg PF-500 heads are going for $249 used online. From what I hear the PF-500 has a good tone. I was a huge fan of the Ampeg B100R portaflex tone for rock music.

How does the tone of the PF-500 compare? Also is it safe to buy these used one's from Guitar Center? I heard the earlier ones had reliability issues. I am thinking that what it would cost to get my SVT-350 and 1x15 out of pawn...I could just use that money and upgrade to something else.

Opinions?
  2. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

I can't tell you how the two might compare, But I have to ask.

Why don't you get your rig out of hock then sell it? You see the SVT selling for $2-300 on it's own. Throw another $100 for the cab on top of that, and you'll be in a much better position to purchase a new rig than you are right now with just the $200 you owe the broker.
  3. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

I agree with odineye. Get your stuff back for 200 and turn that into 400. Get a new pf500 with warranty and look for a cab.
  4. stiles72

stiles72

I own a B100R, a PF500, and a few other Ampegs, including a 63 B15. I'll probably get bagged on for this, but IMO - I'd go get your SVT-350. It's a proven design, and if it's served you well all this time you know it's dependable. I wouldn't ditch it for a PF500. I've had three PF500's go up in smoke so far, and honestly I don't trust it to take to a gig. As far as comparing the PF500 to the B100R - the two are very different despite "looking the role". The B100R actually sounds louder, and has more room filling low tones - where as the PF500 sounded tighter, and weaker in an A/B comparison. I had to cut ports in one of my PF cabs to get it to sound closer to the B100R. The porting did help quite a bit, but the nod still goes to the B100R.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Super interesting commentary. I also have the B100R (LOVE) and a PF350 w double 210AV cabs. I'm real happy with the portaflex and I'm not exactly trying to replicate the B100R but I'm wanting more boomy lows so was just looking to switch my 210s for something else. PF210s were suggested to me- but I'm not really sure yet.