1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

OK I TRIED THEM BOTH. MARKBASS AND GK

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by magic8161, Apr 15, 2012.

1. magic8161

magic8161

I went to GC and tried all the amps that i was interested in. This is what I came up with. 1) I have to stop reading Reviews. and 2) dont forget about #1 rule.....lol
    I tried the $899 12inch Markbass combo The cmd121p OMG what a horrable sounding bass combo. you cant get decent lows at all. then i tried it with the extra 12 inch cabinet. so now i have two 12 inch speakers and it was still bad. then i tried the 2x10. still bad lows. finally i tried the 800 watt head with a 15 inch markbass speaker and it still couldnt get that low end sound. I was useing a 4 string precision american bass. so then the salesman had a GK MB115 in the back he brought out. all i can say is wow!!!! Punchey great low's and a tweeter that you can turn off if you dont like it. and its so light i could juggle 3 of them. Its the best sounding amp i have found. I wonder if the MB212 is as good as this 15 was. you could use this in a large club it sounds that good and with only 200 watts i was amazed to say the least. now I need to here the mb212 and i will for sure buy one of the combo's
  2. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I often try various amps when I visit one of those guitar stables. I begin by setting the tones/eq/settings flat. If the amp is any good it will reproduce the guitar I am using to an acceptable level, meaning I could live with it.

Never tried any Markbass I would go back to. I think they were designed to attract bees, not bass players.
  3. ksandvik

ksandvik

Well, maybe Randy Jackson, Jeff Berlin, Matt Bissonette, Michael Manrig and many others like bees and don't know a squat about low end. Something I don't think is the case.

Pilot error, most likely. Or a crappy bass.
  4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

these first 2 reviews are definitely racially charged.:bag:
  5. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I can say that I like just about every MarkBass I have tried. I also have hated every price tag that was attached to one.
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Ha! =)

I like them both. I have a MB head but I am not a fan of their cabs.
  7. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Didn't make my comment as the cheap shot you favour. Slandering someone for having an alternate opinion is pretty juvenille.
  8. Big B.

Big B.

I have several great sounding basses and have yet to find a Markbass amp that made me happy. I also dig all of those players but what doesnt make me happy doesnt make me happy. I guess I must not fly planes well.
  9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

FWIW, I've used a Markbass CMD 121P for about 4 years now and never had the slightest bit of trouble getting plenty of low end, especially for such a small cab.
  10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Funny I did the same thing last week. I did try the GK combo's a while back and thought they were OK, loved the weight but they are kind of large. If I was in a rock band I would of liked the tone better. The lows were decent. FWIW the GK MB200 micro head was great IMO and I plan on getting one.

For the Markbass I like them allot but the 212 combo left me lacking in a little way overall. Its good but not great. The Jeff Berlin is great I liked it allot good lows and mids. I decided on a little mark 3 with a markbass 210 cab both are the silverfaced/grill anniversary editions. I got a good deal on the Friday 13 sale. I used it at the gig that night and had the best tone and lows I have ever had in any amp yet....I was all smiles :D Remember rule #1 like you said.
  11. pacojas

+1

that little baby can fill a room beyond belief!!!
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I heard they are great and it was ok but I had my heart set on not getting another combo. What you hear in GC and what you hear out of there is amazing...most of the time :p
  13. magic8161

magic8161

Wow not the ones I tried. you cant get low end with out over driving the speaker. I and the fellows and GC all tried and we used two basses and they all sounded like crap. we did hook up the little mark to a GK speaker and blew the doors off. But the markbass stuff if not my sound. and for what you get way way over priced..
  14. pacojas

user-error^^^
  15. magic8161

magic8161

I dont think so. I been playing bass when you were kicking the slats out of your cradle...I dont care what kind of bass you use if your going to push that little bass to be heard its going to overdrive that speaker. You guys must be playing very small gigs with a drummer that dont drive, but for me to be heard over my drummer that little 12 inch wont do crap. it just dont push the air.
  16. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I haven't done the comparison, but I have played a Mark Bass Mini CMD121P at a couple of gigs where my band and the other band were sharing some gear to save hassles. I was less than impressed, especially with all the hype MarkBass gear gets.

The owner was playing a Warwick Corvette $$, and I used a Fender MIM Precision for those gigs, which were pub rock affairs. The amp was loud, sure, and it looked pretty, but no amount of EQ-twiddling could get a decent tone out of it while playing in a live situation. It sounded almost like the hi-mids (I think) from the bass amp were overpowering the vocals and acoustic guitars and making everything sound bad.

I've used one of those Hartke 4x10 combos (don't know the model) for a couple of recent gigs and it has put out a lovely sound in the mix - so perhaps it has something to do with the 12 inch driver in the MarkBass. In any case, I would need to try some more MarkBass gear in live situations to be convinced it's worth the hefty price tag.
  17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I have been using a Mark bass little mark since 2007 and love the amp. I did try a Mark bass 210 combo amp and returned it after a couple of gigs. It farted out a lot and just didn't cut it for me. I find I like Mark bass amps but not their speakers. As far as combos I too went with a GK MB112 combo. Its great for small bar gigs and has a lot of power for a 200 watt amp. I would like to give the mark bass 1x12 combo a try in a bar gig setting.
  18. magic8161

magic8161

Oh I agree with 100 percent. the heads are Great but the cabinets are just plain bad. The combos just dont cut it in a rock and roll band. we do alot of Elvis and I play like Jerry scheff and i need to be heard over the drummer. GK sounded great. Its perfect for small to even med. gigs and for large gigs ill just run it direct. so its great for every gig.
  19. magic8161

magic8161

thats the word !!! the combo farts out alot!!! mabe its not distortiing its farting. but how ever you look at it it still dont have the drive of a lager 15 inch
  20. pacojas

all i'm saying is, for a 12" combo, it slams if you let it! of course, it's not for everyone or every setting. my argument is you saying what it can't do i.e., lowend. i'm saying that some get excellent lows from it without being subjective, IMHO. :)